Chinese-Forums

Wu Gaofeng's Nearly Everything About Chinese Characters - any reviews?

li3wei1

Looks interesting, but hard to tell who it's pitched at and whether it's any good. Has anyone seen it?

Saw it on amazon.

I thought it might be useful to someone learning characters, along the lines of Hoenig, Heisig, Matthews, Ann, etc.

The book description on Amazon says it's great for everyone, from the beginner to the scholar, but they would say that, wouldn't they? One of the reviews makes it sound like he covers the 120 most basic characters in some depth, but maybe not the others, so I'm particularly interested in how useful it would be to someone who is somewhat beyond the first 120 characters.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease could we skip the one-sentence topics. Why's it interesting? Where'd you see it? What other books might it be similar to? Etc, etc. Lets try and push the dreadful day when all websites become Twitter just a little further into the future...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for some kind of book that is about history of the most common characters, why they have the radicals they have and why they look like they do. Is this what this book is about? I need to learn more about radicals and such since I'm very bad at it now and I might aim at being a chinese teacher in the future :)