Chinese-Forums

John DeFrancis Beginning Chinese Reader Vocabulary Spreadsheet

ablindwatchmaker

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Thanks, this is useful for me. Seton Hall U put out a recording of the BCR Sentences, Dialogs and Narratives, this can aid listening to it.

Do you still need the Intermediate lists? I have the Part 2 of DeFrancis' Intermediate Chinese Reader book (a 1967 edition, the title differs from what you listed), and I probably have Part 2 somewhere. I may get around to compiling lists, if you need them.

What is your experience with the method in these readers? The idea is interesting, but I have some gripes about what has been implemented.

Cheers,

Fred K.

That would be wonderful. I haven't completed the first because I've been tied up with my classroom text, but it will be extremely useful once I start on intermediate. I would love to have a list of parts 1 and 2!

I think the readers are very, very solid. My reading speed tripled or quadrupled after starting on this series. I've also learned a ton of useful vocabulary. More importantly, the readers give you tons of sentence patterns in a variety of contexts, so you end up learning the grammar quite naturally. Instead of reviewing a pattern 2 or 3 times, you see it dozens of times over a longer period, which leads to greater retention, at least in my experience. I use this as a supplement though. I'm actually skeptical of self-teaching from scratch. I think that self-teaching is more useful after one has attained at least low-intermediate level in a formal classroom environment. I've met a few people who speak fluent baby Chinese after having self-studied and living in China without formal study, and this is something I'd definitely like to avoid!

It would be awesome to have the entire series posted on this forum. I'm also working on the princeton series, as well as the Zhongqin reader, if anyone is interested.

• 2 years later...