Chinese-Forums

Studying, working and living: Harbin

Nic

Hello!

I've read many threads about schools and accommodation in Harbin on this forum but I'd like to get more specific information about it.

I've been studying in Beijing for a semester in March 2011 until July 2011 and I improved my Mandarin level by a lot. However, since I went back home, I didn't find a good Chinese program to continue with. So I havent practiced but I do remember a lot about speaking (forgot a lot about writing). I cosnider myself as a fast-learner so I do'nt think it'll be a problem to get back to my level and improve it. (I just want to stress out, I know a bit of Chinese and I can sustain a faster learning than normal people do. So I want a good program :) )

I've been checking CUCAS website and other forums (+ this one) and I'm now hesitating which program I should take.. HIT (can't find the fees on their website), Bincai or 1to1mandarinworkshop (seems the best).

I may plan on continuing with CET later so I need intensive teaching.

Do you guys think I should go for HIT, Bincai or 1to1?

Also, I believe 1to1 is probably the best and I checked their prices. They mention 26.930RMB / 3 months, accommodation included. How is their accommodation ? Is it a single room ? An appartment with 2-3 rooms (==> thus aptms with roommates). Is there a way to avoid their accommodation and book myself for cheaper?

Furthermore, I plan on staying minimum 1 year in Harbin and I can't afford 3 or 4 sessions of 1to1, what do you think should be the best mix ? 6 months HIT and 3 months 1to1? Other idea ? (Thats also why I prefer own aptmts, so I don't have to move after 6months or 3 months).

Last question, that many people have already asked for English on this forum, I'm a native-speaker of French and i'd like to teach French (no experience) to Chinese people to help me paying for all this, do you know where I could apply to earn that extra money ? (I could also teach English but they maybe prefer native-speakers)

Thank you very much for reading all this and replying (if not to all, but to some questions).

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas

I can't help with your questions but thought I'd let you know there are quite a few French people living in Harbin, Eurocopter has a project there. Do you have any education qualifications as there are quite a few school age children but no French school?

Cheers Beck

• New Members

Hello Nicolas,

I'm a teacher from International Student Center of HIT, I think can answer your question. As a CET student, you've already studied at here before two years. So you totally know ouruniversity. We are the one of the toppest universities in China. We also have so many good Chinese teachers. The tuition fee is 7300 yuan RMB per semester. I hope this website can help you:http://www.studyathit.cn/en.asp. Compare with private school,we also have a lot of advantages. So I‘m looking forward to see you in our university.

You may ask HIT whether the Foreign Languages Department needs a native French teacher. Then you can get a job and practise speaking Mandarin in your spare time or when taking some Chinese classes. To be a language teacher you may need education qualifications. Just ask HIT first.

Hi Nicholas,

I have recently written a post about my experience with 101. I don't know about the other schools.

I think you should go with 101 as much as possible from a language point of view.... in terms of accommodation...it is a tricky one. I originally thought their prices were a bit high but after speaking to a few people I realized they were pretty average...and that was because I was looking only for a 2 months rental period. i heard that if you want to stay longer, you might get better prices. But it also depends on how good your Chinese is to negotiate the price.

Regarding the accommodation with 101... it is pretty basic by European standards. You don't share with anyone... in the UK we would call this type of accommodation a 'studio'... your bedroom and living room are the same...you have a super tiny kitchen and a small bathroom. I am now living on a University Campus and I miss my studio with 101...:-)... as I mentioned in my other post... the internet was a real pain in the neck...but that is China for you (and probably me being unlucky).

So maybe what I suggest is that you start with 101 and start looking around for another place to live...try talking to them... they are very nice...they might be able to help... you can also only do 3 lessons/week rather the full on option which would leave you time to work...to be honest I think (from my experience) that you get more out of three hours of private tuition that a whole week of class teaching...

Hope that helps

Giusi

Clark, your input would be very valuable here. Do remember though that prospective students want facts and actual information - why are your teachers good, what textbooks are used, what are class sizes, what advantages do you have over a private school, etc.

Hello guys/girls

Thank you for your answers. (Feel free to give me more information)

@Bickcam, I will finish my Master's Degree in Business Administration (Finance oriented) in June/September, depending on when i submit my Thesis. However, I have no qualifications as a teacher even if I like explaining to other people. Thx for mentioning Eurocopter, how did you know I'm a big fan of helicopters ? :D (plan to have license in the future)

@Clarkcdq, I'm afraid the link does not work.. http://imgur.com/KtmwLCr (this is what I see) + Do you know if French teachers (no experience) are researched at HIT? + Are the courses given in the morning, afternoon or both ?

@Andysun731, Thanks for the advise, thats what I'm planning to do :) If they require experience, I can take classes from my home country to start with.

@Giusi,The fact is that I can't afford 1 year of teaching at 1on1. This would totally destroy my bank account. The best I can do (assuming I don't have any income in China) is the 3-month. Then i'd be left without accommodation :D Bad idea. Can you tell me if the weeks you pay for are to be done at once ? (e.g. start in October, finish in December or Start in October and spread the time on a longer period?) . I could do HIT in morning (depending on Clarkcdq answer) and 1on1 in afternoon.. BTW I totally need Internet :) Another question, can I start the lessons anytime ? Or is it only in September ? Can I start (for instance) on 17th October, 14th September,.. ?

@ Roddy, Maybe you could put this topic's link in the other thread ? (part of info given by Clarkcdq) Might help other ppl.

Thx again girls/guys.

• New Members

If your want to know whether our university need Frech teacher or not, you can contact the international office. Because I know that they have Frech class for English major. For Chinese class, the courses are given in the morning exept one day in the afternoon per week. I hope you can enjoy your time in our university and also promote your chinese. HIT is your best choice. If you have any other question, please tell me!

Clark