Chinese-Forums

the difference between computer based and paper based hsk certificate

Guili

Hello

Is there a difference between computer based and paper based hsk exam Certificate?

I just took computer based exam. i need it for graduating my degree. now some of my classmates told me tgat our university doesnt accept computer based hsk certificate. but noone is sure. Id like to know if there is difference between these two certificates.

I can ask my teacher but im afraid she might say yes we dont accept it...

thank you

Why on Earth would be a difference? AFAIK, the Hanban plans to eliminate the paper-based exams, because the 网考 is more convenient. I just checked my computer-based exam's certificate. There is no word about whether you've done a paper-based or computer-based exam. So relax, it is the same, HSK is HSK, paper-based and computer-based is the same.

@XiongNu

The computer-based is not that good either. Of course, if you do the 书写 part, it's easy as hell because of the pinyin input. But the 听力 and 阅读 part is far worse than on paper due to the crappy font style and size... And during the 听力 part, the questions come one after another, so if you answered question 15 quickly, you still have to wait for the system to give you question 16. On paper, it's more convenient.

So, both exam types has their own pros and cons, I'm a little bit sad that at our university paper-based HSK is no more available, this 网考 is not that good IMO.

@Frapunchino - When you apply on chinesetest.cn you will see that it says 网考 beside the test centres that do it computer-based. If you can use Google Pinyin or a similar IME you should be fine with the writing part of the online test. My Chinese teacher feels like the computer test is 'cheating'. It is testing a different (and probably less difficult skill) than the paper test. You can do an online practice test on chinesetest.cn to see if you like the format, and you can also download PDF test papers and mp3 files of the audio portion to see if you prefer doing the pencil and paper test.