Chinese-Forums

(NPPLC) 2013 Review, Lessons 1-5

xuexiansheng

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

This thread is for the discussion of the review of grammar patters for Lessons 1-5 in A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese by Paul Rouzer.

Please keep in mind the ground rules posted in the first lesson's thread.

For general discussion and a schedule for the study group, please see the proposal thread.

--

This is a thread for the grammar review. It is a good section to help solidify some important grammar structures as we progress through the book. Bonus points to anyone who can translate the devilish English --> Classical Chinese paragraph without cheating!

I took a train ride this weekend, so I had some time to work on this review.

Most of the sentences went well. The real tricky part was the paragraph. That took me about an hour and a half. First I tried to hand-write it without looking for any characters. Then, when I could only do the first half, I started to type it without looking at the text for hints, but I still couldn't finish it! Finally, after looking at all the chapters again, I (sort of) finished it. After looking at Rouzer's translation, if I was self-grading it, maybe a C+ (or B- if I was a nice teacher!)

It was a good review exercise and made me pay attention to 我/吾;and characters I had mixed up in my brain 禮/理;對曰/复曰。And I'll need to look over the 奚為 question particle again.

How did everyone else do?

• 3 weeks later...

I did this a while back but lost the paper I wrote on. Here's an attempt now with minimal character lookup. -- Definitely lots of mistakes here!

公齊具酒,期以朝。鳥往飲而不受觴於臣,曰:溪為不能飲乎?管仲對曰:臣非不欲鳥,公不欲聽之。鳥曰:公驕也,吾聞:民耕,君治,鳥言。禁鳥言不如得其謀。請使吾就坐。

屋漏,鳥憂。公進,曰:請受賜於我。予鳥酒。鳥棄,怒曰:公無禮。公憂曰:縱有禮,我不復求子屋。臣曰:勿使之出!而鳥去之。

(I had to look up 怒,求, and 憂.)

Certainly hard to remember the characters and the tricky grammar constructions!

The Chinese->English was straight-forward though.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

No big problems here.  I don't like the use of 子 to mean "you", I keep thinking people are talking to their sons.  It's also impossible to tell when to use that or something like 臣 or 公, and the same goes for 我.

All in all, a pretty good review exercise!  The paragraph was tricky and I missed quite a few bits, but thats much better than it being too easy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...