Chinese-Forums

please give me an english name. (请帮助我起个英文名

back

i want to have an nice english name, my last name is Huang, my first name is "晓晖xiaohui". please help to think about an english name for me, especially the first name(i think there is no need to change the last name). thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

想起个英文名字,这样以后出国及和国外友人交往比较亲和方便。

我姓是黄(Huang,这个似乎不要改),名是“晓晖”(xiao hui)。

听说用谐音的方法起英文名字很好。和“晓晖”谐音的英文first name,一个朋友建议如下:

Sewall, Sewell, Shadwell, shanken.Sheftel.Shewell, shinwell, Shewman, shewmon, Sheffield, Sharwood, Sharswood,Shedletsky, Sheresky ,Sheeran, Sharar

我感觉shinwell比较好。大家说呢。会不会有点太绅士太严肃呢。

请大家帮助参谋下,主要原则如下:

和“晓晖”的发音类似;念起来琅琅上口;含义好;外国人看着比较舒服,不感到生僻奇怪。

非常谢谢各位好友 :conf

BTW: 抱歉,由于忙很长时间没来了,有时候来了,看到不少中文问题大家研究地已经深入到连我这个中国人也没有能力回答了。确实是个很棒的中文学习论坛,不过小缺点就是网络速度似乎略有点慢(恕我直言)。如果将来有机会,请管理员解决下。

If you're looking for a first name with the "sh" sound some common ones i run into for people my age (22) are these:

girl's names: Shannon, Shawn, Shawna, Shelia

boy's names: Shane, Sean (pronounced Shawn but differnt spelling for males)

I'm sure there are many others, but these are some of the ones i see most often in the Boston area.

• 2 weeks later...

I have given you the following fine English name: "Donny"

It comes from the proper translation of Xiao which is "dawn".

Donny Huang is a good sounding name which will surely impress the ladies on both sides of the Pacific.

Best wishes,

Confucius

• 1 month later...

Good call Canuck, Nathan Huang sounds pretty cool and sure to be a hit

The choices of "western" names never ceases to amaze me. Occasionally you get something cool like the above but often they are really odd such as "Winston", "Betty" or "Kitty". When my Chinese friends ask me for advice on Western names I try to steer them away from these to something a bit less 1920's

Good call Canuck' date=' Nathan Huang sounds pretty cool and sure to be a hit

The choices of "western" names never ceases to amaze me. Occasionally you get something cool like the above but often they are really odd such as "Winston", "Betty" or "Kitty". When my Chinese friends ask me for advice on Western names I try to steer them away from these to something a bit less 1920's[/quote']

Yeah, like "Apple" or "Wings" or "Monkeys" or "Worm" - all current students of mine :wink: I did not name them! (and I drew the line and changed "God" since I found it offensive).

Yeah, like "Apple" or "Wings" or "Monkeys" or "Worm" - all current students of mine :wink: I did not name them! (and I drew the line and changed "God" since I found it offensive).

A few Chinese students I met in the UK had names like that.

"Sky", "Ring", "Snow", "Ding", "Windy"

:nono

Some odd names I saw: Ocean (actually I think that doesn't sound so bad), Kobe (ok for a black basketball player but not really for a Chinese), Jackal (tried to have him change that to Jonah but haven't really succeeded).

• 3 weeks later...
Good call Canuck' date=' Nathan Huang sounds pretty cool and sure to be a hit

The choices of "western" names never ceases to amaze me. Occasionally you get something cool like the above but often they are really odd such as "Winston", "Betty" or "Kitty". When my Chinese friends ask me for advice on Western names I try to steer them away from these to something a bit less 1920's[/quote']

those are Honger names :) My friend's friend is named "winnie"

as per the topic, Sean/Shawn suggests an Irish connection and I would not recommend it.

I think "Dan Huang" would be so cool. Try pronouncing it omg

• 1 month later...

Well, except for fun, why have a western name?

Because westerners are not very comfortable with chinese names? Don't bother with that.

Ok, I'm not good at giving advices, I'm a westerner with a chinese name...but it's just for fun I use it, as a nickname. When I introduce myself in China, I first give my original name.

Chinese names are often very nice and meaningful.It's a pity to change them for english name which is often not well chosen, regarding to its ethymological meaning, its biblical reference or because it's old fashion. Of course, they are very few westerners who can read chinese names correctly and you'll have to correct them often if you keep your chinese name, but if more chinese people kept their chinese names, perhaps more westerners will know how to pronounce them.