Chinese-Forums

Korean Language Scholarship

Saxondale

I was wondering if Korea had something similar to the CSC Scholarship, specifically for a language course. I can only find ones for undergraduate and graduate programs, nothing about any language courses. Does anyone know if it even exists?

thanks

There should be, but not so many... In my home country, I have friends whose major is Korean, and they can go to Korea for a year, mainly for learning the language and the Korean culture. But most of these scholarships are based on bilateral university agreements, so for other students it is impossible to get them.

I think the characterestic of soft power in China and in Korea is a little bit different. China establishes Confucius Institutes, offers generous scholarships, because the reputation of the country is just so-so. Korea has the Hallyu (or Korean wave), all over the world TVs broadcast KDramas, more and more people listening to KPOP, so the media reflects a good image on Korea, the reputation is good, so the government doesn't need to spend a fortune on offering scholarship.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for replying so late, but if you're looking for scholarships to a Korean language program, they do exist, but you'll have to apply through an individual university instead of a program like CSC.

If you have a particular school in mind, you might want to check their website and see what types of scholarships they can offer to foreign students and try applying.

• 1 year later...

Sorry i am very late on this, but this year my school advisor was telling students about a Korean government scholarship. It doesn't do bachelors like the Chinese one, and gives awards to less countries, but it still includes a year of Korean language study. I don't know very much about this scholarship, or if there's a forum just for it, but it sounds very great. :)

It seems like it opens on early February until later March every year.

• Like 1