Chinese-Forums

Books for conversation

chuasan

• 2 weeks later...
:mrgreen: Talk to yourself. Or make videos and talk to the camera. That is what I have been doing for my English and Chinese.

Ops. I misread the title :( I don't have a book recommendation but what I do is I would make up a situation that happens in my life and try to figure out how to say those in the language that I am learning. Then I proceed with the talk to myself or video recording haha.

I understand the OP's motives. Conversation partners, movies, TV shows, etc. are a great way to practice oral Chinese but a good dialogue book presents you with a) a level-graded dialogue that is realistic enough to be useful for later reproduction, centered on b) a functional grammar focus. Is it grammar/translation? No, but undoubtedly it borrows from this 'old timey' tradition and presents it passively. Which is why a good dialogue book always has the grammar exercises/expansion afterward to back it up.

There are plenty of textbooks filled with dialogue in China. Unfortunately, in my opinion anyway, almost all of them will put you to sleep after the second line. Chinese as a second language, again in my opinion, seems to be focusing more on multi-media and sites like CSL Pod for beginners than reinventing the primer/intro textbook.

Although I'm 'OKish' at reading simple things now, I still find speaking a daunting task. And really, what the OP is talking about are materials for beginning-level speakers like me (yes, still tone deaf after so many months). It seems to me that utility for reproduction of phrases gleaned from specific dialogues has a sharply decking curve as one gets better at the language.

However, elementary students for now will just have to get through trying to learn the basics in a fragmented way: a little from here, a little from there. I can't find a 'good' comprehensive beginner's text. Bear in mind I'm studying on my own though (considering enrolling at the university). Good luck!

I do because I asked the same question about six months ago and found basically the same answers. There are lots of great grammar books around though, some of which are referenced at AllsetLearning's grammar wiki:

http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/

I also like Po Ching and Remmington's 'Grammar and Workbook' beginner and intermediate series.

Thanks for the link. I haven't heard of these before. Will check it out!

@count_zero - most of that series and their DVDs seem available used on Amazon which is neat. Only downfall is that I can't seem to find any info on the difficulty level. Do you know about that? Currently, I'm between HSK2 - 3.

My comprehension of written Chinese is better than HSK 3 though. It's really the listening + understanding spoken language that is giving me troubles so I really want to focus on that.

@bluetortilla, thanks for the grammar wiki, seems most useful!