Chinese-Forums

erhu newbie needs some help...

Pengyou

I am looking for some ideas to improve the ability of my left hand - little pinkie to stretch. If you play the erhu you will understand this. My teacher just says keep playing, keep trying, which I do. I am wondering if someone has some suggestions - such as certain exercises that will help me speed up the process.

I thank you in advance... my teacher also thanks you...and all of the people that have to suffer listening to my practicing thank you...

Pipa has some fingerings that stretch the little finger like that too. It was agony a year ago but now it isn't and I didn't do anything special except practice my assignments 30 min a day.

just says keep playing, keep trying

Well, maybe we're of different ideologies, but I believe that most of learning technique is learning to coordinate movements that one can already do. "Just keep playing" doesn't improve anything that isn't a physical change, such as callusing of fingertips or increasing muscle mass. I've played the violin and erhu before, and although I'm not very good at either, I think my basic technique is solid.

If you call the index, middle, ring, and pinky finger 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively, many people try to extend their third finger and try to reach or stop the string with their 4th finger. Of course, because fingers are of different lengths, this is awkward. Instead, 1 should be somewhat curved, and 2 and 3 should be quite curved, while 4 is often straight out. The distance between 3 and 4 is adjusted not by changing the shape of 4 but by moving 3 up. One's basic hand shape, outlined by 1 and 4, should remain mostly the same, as 1 and 4 are almost always a perfect 4th apart. It's usually just 2 and 3 that move up or down depending on whole and half steps in the scale.

Many people also try to play with fingers perpendicular to the strings. Laying one's hand flat against a surface and spreading one's fingers will get 1 and 4 at most a bit over 90 degrees apart. However, turning one's hand (in this case, left hand to the right) while keeping fingertips on the surface (like a fan) allows them to be about 180 degrees apart. Therefore turning one's hand slightly up (when playing erhu) will allow less restricted spreading.

See if you are doing these. There is no "stretch." Just finding the right technique.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

An old technique used by Cello players. Try using a squash ball.. or similar kind of squidgy ball. Squeeze between little finger and thumb and hold. This will develop strength in your little finger and will greatly help in areas such as vibrato and stretching. Furthermore, you can do this anywhere!

• 2 months later...

Hi all i'm new to this forum and need some advice about an erhu im looking to buy the seller says this about it: "I bought it through ebay a month ago and the seller said the erhu was fine unless the outer string needed to be exchange. When it arrives, I bought all the missing parts (chian jin and outter string). At the end the erhu tune is loose and cannot play properly, although it sounds good."

Can anyone advise whether i should buy it or does it sound like it cant be fixed, please help???/

At the end the erhu tune is loose and cannot play properly,

I guess it depends if you want to play it or not.

It sounds like at least 2 other sellers have tried to get rid of it because it doesn't play well. No point in becoming the third when there are surely other erhus out there.