Chinese-Forums

CELTA / TESOL in China - anyone done this recently?

ChTTay

Hey,

I'm debating doing a CELTA and, as i already live in Beijing, it would be conveniant to do one here. The thread below is pretty old but o see "language link" is still offering courses. Has anyone done a CELTA with them?

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/10462-doing-celta-course-in-china/

I have about 12 months teaching experience in China but feel like i'd like some actual training now. Im not sure how long i will be in China for but at least another year. However, i think i will probably apply to be a primsry school tescher in the medium term... And may end up back in Asia teaching again. It seems like having a CELTA would be a useful qualification to have in the long term too.

Anyway, if anyone has done a CELTA or TESOL in China recently, what did you think?

Whst was the stadard of the course like? How were the teachers? Has it helped with your teaching? Useful long term?

Thanks a lot

P.s. sorry for mssing out lettrs but for some reasn my iPad keyboard always makes me type like ths :-)

I did it with Language Link a little more than six months ago. The teachers, I believe, are always different. One of my teachers was visiting from Canada, and the other was from England. They weren't permanently with the school. Basically, as far as curriculum goes, it is fairly standardized. I also have a colleague from work who completed the most recent course cycle with them, and she enjoyed it.

I had no teaching experience before the CELTA, and it got me a pretty good job. I remember during my interview the interviewer said something like, "Well, you have no teaching experience. Ah, but you have a CELTA. Good." And the interview was basically over at that point.

I recommend it, with absolutely zero caveats. Do it.