Chinese-Forums

ying xiong (英雄) subtitles

马习睦

• New Members

Hi everyone !

I really would like to have the Chinese subtitles for the movie Ying Xiong ( 英雄 ) in order to help me studying my Chinese :)

I looked for them on the internet but I actually didn't find some compatible with my computer. If someone can help, it would be really great !

By the way, this is a quite good movie, very well-filmed, and the dialog aren't hard to understand. I highly recommend you to see it if you are studying Chinese !

• New Members

I don't know, in fact I Have VLC and it runs the movie very well but when I try to add Chinese subtitles that I downloaded, a lot aren't even Chinese characters and the others don't fit. Maybe it's a problem with VLC that can't spell out Chinese.

Tools > Preferences > Subtitles & OSD

Under Subtitles Language, change Default Encoding to Universal, Chinese (GB18030). It might require restarting VLC.

If that doesn't work, experiment with the following: Simplified Chinese (one or the other), Traditional Chinese (one or the other), Hong Kong Supplementary, Universal (UTF-16 or UTF- 8) etc. The correct encoding might vary between different subtitle files.

You also might want to use a different font for subtitles.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone got the subtitles for this film?

I was looking on shooter.cn, where I have been in the past, but I think it has closed down, unfortunately!

Any other suggestions for sites to search would be welcome.

Thanks very much, Roddy. I looked at that thread but overlooked part of it.

I downloaded two of them and they opened as simplified Chinese 2312 or something. I saved them as UTF-8 because that seems to work best with Pleco. I did this in Word for Windows, in a virtual machine on the Mac.

But Crouching Tiger did not open right. Some characters were replaced by squares. What coding should I be looking for? I mean, I think Word usually finds it.