Chinese-Forums

Chinese Chess Android App

abcdefg

象棋

Anybody using an Android Chinese Chess app that they really like?

I found about 25 free ones on the Google Play store, but the descriptions are pretty skimpy. FWIW, I downloaded one by Dream Factory, but it has a lot of drawbacks. Would not recommend it.

It would be a plus if the user interface allowed switching between Chinese and English until I get the hang of the terminology. Also, if the program does not allow a move when I'm playing against the computer, I'd like to know what I did wrong. Would hope to use it as a tool to improve my level of play as well as just for pure entertainment.

Would be willing to pay if I can't locate a free one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Action Chinese Chess seems immensely better than the one I was using. Just what I was looking for. Seems like it was created by Vietnamese software developers. Thanks again.

I'll take you up on that in a few months. I'm still making embarrassingly many mistakes against the Level One Computer.

There is a street corner near my apartment where an older guy in a yellowing undershirt takes on all comers most afternoons about 5. A small crowd always gathers to watch and kibitz. My goal is to be able to sit down there at least once before the end of the year.

I've played one game of Chinese chess. My opponent was an experienced player who, exasperated at my n00bness, kept telling me what move I should be making next to counter the moves that he was making. He did this every move until he won the game for me - it was a little surreal.

• 2 months later...

Ouch! Time really flies. I'm way far from ready. Never did buy a book, and the video tutorials I found on the internet all seem either too simple or too advanced. I've played the computer a few times at Level 1, and lost every time.

I don't think I could give you a good game. Sorry to disappoint, but will have to postpone the match. Seems that Chinese Chess, even though fun, just didn't move up high enough on my priority list to get allocated adequate time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

I'm playing the Chinese Chess these days, too. i dowloaded a chess APP in Chinese laguange before, but it can not connect online. now i dowloaded another one . it is one of the QQ(Tencent) games. you can search the "QQ手机游戏" in your phone explorer. and download the game platform , and then logn in , choose the 中国象棋, then dowload the sencond time,then installed it ,you can play it with computer or with friends online, the premise is you have to register a QQ accout.

• 2 months later...

Look out Roddy!

Am currently back in the States and just managed to download a Kindle version of the H. T. Lau Chinese Chess strategy book you recommended back in May. Looks like I'll need to read it with a chess board set up off to the side to make the moves he suggests and actually position the opponent's pieces. So I won't be able to work through it on the airplane, but after a few months in Kunming, I hope to be able to attain a level of proficiency that allows me to follow through on our long-postponed match.

My greater goal is still to casually stroll up and watch a while and then sit in on one or another of the sidewalk games that take place every afternoon within a block or two of my Kunming home. These always have several older guys in grayish-yellow undershirts with a long-ashed cigarette dangling from their mouths, surrounded by circle of kibitzers loudly pointing out the moves they think you should have made.

If I could ever manage to win a game at one of those informal enclaves, I would consider that my Sinification had been complete. I would spit on the sidewalk, absentmindedly scratch one armpit, pick up my 茶杯 and say 再见 without uttering another word.  柏峰 (my Chinese name) would have become a legend in 东华小区。

• Like 1

"Who was that masked man anyway?"

"Dude, that wasn't a mask, they just look like that..."

I haven't played for years, but it'd be fun to get back into it. And if you happen to play international chess, drop me a line and I'll challenge you on Chess.com. 

I have always been interested in learning how to play, I have an actual set I bought years ago and started to learn. Action Chinese Chess sounds good, I have been going round in circles trying to find somewhere sensible to download the apk from.

Anybody got any good links?

Thanks