Chinese-Forums

What's the "USA Today" Equivalent?

JMitchem

USA Today is supposedly targeted to a 4th grade reading level. BBC obviously isn't.

As far as [online] Chinese newspapers are concerned, is there anything comparable to that? I know there's gossip and entertainment news that's simpler to read, but I'm looking for something that covers national and international news and that's relatively accessible.

Thanks in advance.

You can try 新民晚报, which is a popular paper in Shanghai. It's a bit simpler than more serious papers. I was reading it regularly in fourth or fifth grade, so it's probably about the same level as USA Today. But, of course, fourth-grade native would be considered advanced for a learner.

Here is their website: http://www.xinmin.cn

I was going to suggest 读者, which is like the Reader's Digest of China, until I saw the part about international news.

I greatly enjoy the Xinmin Evening Post, but mostly because it focuses on local (Shanghai) news with some national. Really only the last page is international news.

Thanks for both of those.

I just kept coming back to BBC's Chinese page and feeling overwhelmed and was looking for a somewhat more accessible alternative. I'd also found a number of sites that had summaries of news articles, but I wanted something that was actually the original content, and easier to read.