Chinese-Forums

Going back to the beginning on reading and writing...

Pengyou

I keep hoping that that HSK authorities will change the rules to allow the typing of Chinese instead of writing...but I have been told to not hold my breath.

Request for discussion on this topic:

I have seen many Chinese people using what I think are called xie zi ban 写字拌 ? or writing tablets to enter Chinese into a computer. Most of them, yes, are older individuals that did not learn how to type or use pinyin. But as someone who is at the beginning side of writing - maybe can write 50 characters or so - is this a useful and efficient tool for studying Chinese? I have a copy of Wenlin somewhere - i believe that will let me use a mouse to "write" a Chinese character, but that is not a natural feeling. I am especially interested in the fact that a writing tablet has the potential to give me instant feedback as opposed to writing a word 20 times, handing it into my teacher to grade and then waiting for her to give it back to me - maybe a week turn around time?

How accurate is the software that comes with these writing tablets? Is the software so picky that it would be a hindrance to learning? or so sloppy that I could not develop a high enough standard of writing to be useful? By writing I am talking about the simple (??) process of forming the characters and words on paper, not writing paragraphs, essays, etc. Are there websites to help learn Chinese that will use these kinds of tablets?

Finally, if you feel these would be useful tools can anyone recommend a brand? I have a Hanwang that I have been told is a good tablet...

Thanks in advance.

Have you got your smartphone /mini PDA yet? AFAIK most such devices support input by handwriting either by finger or stylus. For a few years I used this method to help preventing myself from forgetting how to write Chinese. I found it useful. And the recognition rate was very good.

IIRC I have seen thread(s) discussing the use of computers in HSK. You might want to do a search

I keep hoping that that HSK authorities will change the rules to allow the typing of Chinese instead of writing...but I have been told to not hold my breath.

Hold your breath if you like, but you won't be holding it long, because typing is now allowed on the HSK, though it might not be available in all test locations.

If you have a Hanwang tablet already, something like Skritter should work well with it, and is probably going to be better than just trying to use the handwriting recognition IME of your tablet. Skritter will give you feedback on things like stroke order and placement, and also use SRS to make sure you keep revising words you've practiced previously.

For old-school handwriting practice, you might also consider my site Hanzi Grids.

That's great! Thanks! Yes, I have tried several different tablets and the input mechanism is a little strict - not very forgiving. I want something a little more "educational" to begin with. Your site looks really good, like something I will be able to use, especially with characters that are very similar. Skritter also looks good...but I have to decide if it worth $15 per month.

Although I've not used skritter myself, it does seem to get good recommendations from other forum members.

I imagine that if you are using it regularly it's good value, e.g. If you are practising daily, $15 a month = $0.50 a day.

• Like 1

For a few years I used this method to help preventing myself from forgetting how to write Chinese.

That I do also I do Skritter for ten to fifteen minutes a day before going to work, I do it on the iPhone or desktop.

It's hard to imagine Skitter NOT being worth $15 a month. Given the amount of time potentially saved, it could easily be worth a lot more. 'Course, it all depends how much money you've got. But read through the topic and see what the levels of enthusiasm are.

• 1 month later...