Chinese-Forums

Gongfu (Kung Fu) Novels in English?

Guest Ch1nam4n

Nimen hao!

I'd like to look into some kung fu novels, but I can only recognize about 10 Chinese characters (at best!). Does anybody know of a place where I can get my hands on one that has been translated into English, or at the very least, pinyin?

Xie xie, nimen!

Chris

• 1 month later...

A lot of Louis Cha's (Jin Yong) Kung Fu novels has been translated into English by the Oxford Press.

Read:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%26field-keywords%3Dlouis%252520cha%26store-name%3Dbooks/103-8714458-2415038

It seems that the translated version has not lost its original "flavor" as witnessed by the 4-5 star rating given by the critics in Amazon!

Before you let Amazon earn your money, you might like to try a sample. Here you can find a translation of Louis Cha's first novel "The Book and the Sword" (I think this is the same as the one you can find on Amazon). In my opinion, it is an adequate, rather than splendid, version. Also bear in mind that "The Book and the Sword" is not the best of Louis Cha's works.

Don't forget the old classics like Outlaws of the Marsh and Journey to the West, both of which are pretty heavy on martial arts stuff (Outlaws of the Marsh moreso I think, although I haven't read either completely through, they're huge volumes). You can find them both easily on amazon.