Chinese-Forums

There are two ways to pronounce 3rd tone followed by neutral tone, how do we chose?

chajadan

Hello,

When 3rd tone is followed by neutral, I am taught to do a half 3rd tone, followed by a high neutral tone, but sometimes I hear it pronounced like a 2nd tone followed by a a half 3rd. Certain words seem to prefer one over the other, but I found a case where I am given both: http://www.forvo.com...com/word/喜欢/#zh

Are there any general rules about which form is encountered where or when? Is this phenomenon something you are familiar with, or are you used to 3rd+neutral sounding the same in all instances?

I ask because I currently feel that I would always have to consult a native, or special dictionary like forvo, in order to know which to choose. Is one or both always considered accurate? My guess is that either would be understood, but I'm looking for clarification into this whole point.

Thanks!

--charlie