Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2013

Brian US

@Junaid I applied Master in Internal Medicine directly in Huazhong Univ of sceince and Tech.During Mid May i got email from Univ that i have been short listed for scholarship and univ is sending my name for final approval from CSC..Its my 3rd time to apply.before 2 yrs i applief through Higher Education Commission and they short listed my name and sent my nominee for final selection but unfortunatly i couldnt got.

• Like 1

1) What is your native country? Canada

2) Where did you apply? Vancouver Embassy of China

3) When did you apply? Early January 2013

4) When was the deadline? Jan 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Beijing Foreign Studies University 2. Zhejiang University 3. Nankai University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? BC agency number

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local doctor, paid 100$

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Didn't need to

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? No clue

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Accepted Mid-April

14) How were you notified? Ministry of Education called me

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted, partial, then upgraded to full

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Have not been told yet, they sent me letter telling me I have been awarded the scholarship, but they havent told me what school yet.

Hey all, today I received a notice from PKU's ISD office that it has received my application from the CSC (I am a U.S. applicant who was embassy-recommended). However, the PKU ISD office informed me that my desired program, the IMBA, at PKU is not eligible to receive students under the CSC program. I knew as much because the StudyInChina website that was re-vamped last summer clearly stated as much. Nonetheless, PKU's IMBA program still advises students to apply for the CSC Scholarship and accepted IMBA students had been awarded CSC Scholarships last academic year. I can imagine that the CSC wants to restrict/limit scholarship awards to expensive, competitive, English-language taught graduate programs such as the one at PKU. But it is frustrating because similar IMBA programs, such as those at Qinghua, Fudan, Shanghai Jiao Tong, etc. are NOT restricted! Although I was admitted to PKU's IMBA program and included my acceptance notice with my CSC application, I also listed Fudan and SHJT as my 2nd and 3rd choice, respectively...although I truly have little interest in attending those schools. Several months ago, I'd contacted PKU's IMBA program to clarify the CSC application eligibility issue and received no response from the staff member temporarily filling in for the regular staff member who was on maternity leave. I didn't think much about the matter until I received the e-mail message today from PKU's ISD office, inquiring whether I wished to actually study for an IMBA at PKU via self-funding (and any university and Beijing Municipal Government scholarships) or whether they should send my application back to the CSC so that it can be shared with other schools. Since PKU was my #1 choice on my application, it looks like the CSC somehow liked it enough to share with my preferred school. BUT...here's the issue...as some of you may recall, I've also been awarded a full Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for Graduate Study. I've also been accepted with full scholarships to several top Korean universities (i.e. the 'SKY' universities). Those schools are currently reviewing my application for studying at them via the KGSP. One of those schools - Yonsei - which is my preferred one and which is also an MBA partner of PKU - has already accepted me with a full scholarship from the university as well as a full KGSP scholarship. I'm still waiting from the other schools but it really seems like Yonsei is where I will head to. At this point, I don't see myself pursuing the CSC Scholarship because, upon review last month, I discovered that the Korean one is so much more generous! The Koreans offer about US $822 per month in stipend for Masters study while the Chinese only offer about US $222! i don't wish to appear greedy because this is more money that most Chinese students ever receive from their own government for graduate study. Yet, especially in Beijing, which is rather expensive, there is a big difference between US$ 822 and US$ 222! I am particularly concerned because PKU doesn't offer much off-campus housing and living alone in WuDaoKou could cost between US$ 450-$850 per month! Meanwhile, Seoul is more expensive but all of the schools have plenty of dormitory space for about US$ 1,600 per semester! PKU is a fantastic school but my estimate is that given the meager US$ 1,600 Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship that I was awarded by PKU, I'd have to pay about $US 17,000-26,000 to study at PKU or undertake its dual Yonsei-PKU MBA program. This amount would be smaller if I received 2nd-year performance-based scholarships from PKU, but they would only amount to US$ 8,000-10,000 and not apply if I were to spend the second year studying in the joint-degree in Korea. The CSC also doesn't provide any Masters research allowance, as does the KGSP - about US$ 240 per semester! Besides that, the two national government scholarship programs are fairly similar in terms of the benefits that they provide: round-trip economy air ticket, limited medical insurance, all tuition paid for, including the 1st year of intensive Korean language study (students must achieve TOPIK level 3 to begin the Masters study), etc. Although my Chinese language skills are superior to my Korean ones and although I would really like to study at PKU (and intend to do so in the future - maybe for a PhD), I just find it frustrating to discover that the CSC Scholarship will not cover IMBA study at PKU but will cover it at similar schools. This fact, plus the additional funding provided by the KGSP versus the CSC leads me to pursue the KGSP and Yonsei (or Seoul National or Korea U. or KAIST) over the CSC and PKU (or Qinghua or Fudan or SHJT). These are my thoughts and circumstances. Don't you feel that the KGSP is a much better option for me to pursue than the CSC, particularly because ALL of my academic costs would be covered in Korea and also because the CSC wouldn't cover my desired study at PKU, and I'd therefore have to spend up to about US$ 26,000 to self-fund my graduate study at PKU. What would you do in my position? Thanks.

Oh, I have a clarification from PKU's ISD: the approximately US$ 30,000 tuition cannot be covered by the CSC scholarship but the lodging, living allowance, and medical insurance can still be covered by the scholarship. I assume that the language-training fee for the 1st year would also be covered. Hmmm...this still doesn't change my calculus much because the tuition coverage IS the key factor in applying to this scholarship! Don't you all concur? I find it strange to undertake a scholarship program, such as the CSC, that isn't able to cover my tuition fee, which is the principal benefit that one would expect to receive!

Cn27, you have three options: pay some of the money to attend PKU, have PKU send your application back to the CSC and Korea. I don't know anything about IMBAs. I wouldn't consider the first option, though.

@cn27 I agree with Angelina with the options, but if it was me I would go for Korea, it would still be a great experience.

If I don't get the scholarship I will do my masters in the UK as I can complete the course in 1year, compared to 2 years in China and the fees here are half the price of those in China.

@cn27 - Sorry, I don't understand one thing: if CSC won't cover the English program why would you need the 1-year language course? That's only taken as a prep course if Mandarin will be used as the language medium for your course. Also, why don't you like the idea of going to the Shanghai universities? Shanghai is an AWESOME city and the mentioned universities are reputed.

Also, in my opinion Mandarin is much more useful as a business language than Korean (I don't know why anyone would want to study Korean language unless they intend to do business there). Tons of Koreans are studying in China. So I would choose China over Korea any day.

Just my 2 cents.

1) What is your native country? Tanzania

2) Where did you apply? HEIs

3) When did you apply? March 2013

4) When was the deadline? 31st March ,2013

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program followed by three years masters program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? i applied about five different HEIs so i can't mention all of them

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? five different agency numbers

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local magistrate

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Didn't need to

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? No clue

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? still waiting

14) How were you notified? n/a

15) When were you accepted/rejected? n/a

16) What school and program were you accepted to? n/a

my current status 'your application is currently checking' though i have no hopes jamani coz it seems like many people have got the accepting notifcation

@Junaid

You will certainly get the scholarship, as all the principal candidates nominated by IPC get the scholarship (unless there is something wrong with their documents). But you might not get in your desired university. I was a principal candidate last year and i got a scholarship alright, but they threw me in a third tier university. :(

@ Haseeb

Best of luck bro! I have applied privately to NUAA and SWJTU this year. Lets hope for the best! :)

@mselajela, Tanzanian applicants used to receive admission notification from their nominating agent(HELs) on late june or early july. I know some applicants who were notified at this moment but merely to submit their passport details so that their admission can be further processed . so if you don't receive notification now and your sure you don't miss important details on the submitted documents then your chance of getting nominated is still high. I myself are among those yet to receive admission notification.

Hi, to all that applied to Tsinghua through CSC, Ive been told that Tsinghua international office received the list from the CSC office 2 weeks ago. However, Im unsure as to whether they have notified applicants yet or not.

Nimen hao~

I applied the form for brazilian/china schoolarship. The deadline was may 19, and I still got no answer, and i dont know any1 who got accepted yet.CSC send the accept notice for everybody at same time?I hope they send in June