Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2013

Brian US

@shuoshuo , Yeah you are spot on about the quota system thingy , according to some of our MOE's documents , it's the case .

It seems that Ningbo University and Shanghai University ( Two of my choices ) can still accept applications , so i might fill in the application forms in case the answer i get on Monday is a " Sorry buddy , maybe next year ? " .

东北师大 doesn't have MBA in English , plus the winter in the 东北 is pretty harsh ! Lol .

@FredSaidYes - Did you apply for Masters? Age could be a factor. But then again, I personally know people who applied in their 40s and they got it. I know one person in his 50s.

@FredSaidYes , i had a classmate in my first year ( studying Mandarin ) from Poland who was over 50 . However , his scholarship didn't include a degree but just the one year of Mandarin . I don't think that age will be an issue , there are people at my University who brought their families along !

My embassy sent me a notice that I got accepted for full scholarship complete with the admission letter from my school and a paper saying that I was accepted by the CSC. But i'm not even on the second list that was posted on my school. Is that weird or what?

@amanda92

Do you have the admission package at hand? Did they mention which you university you will study? I assume you applied through embassy, Specific embassies like EU has its own quota, University has its own quota too. I'm not sure but maybe those list posted in the university website are the winners who have APPLIED DIRECTLY TO UNIVERSITY which explains why you can't find your name on the list.

• Like 3

Ok so you got already the admission documents then there's no reason for you to freak out :wink: . Good luck for China life soon, and congratulation for the job well done. Wish you all the best on your student days in China

Hi all.

I would like to share my application experience with people to hopefully provide some insight into how not to get the scholarship!

I studied at BFSU from March 2012 until January 2013 (self-funded) and passed HSK level 5 in March this year. I really want to reach level 6 and thought the best way would be to study for a further year, hence my reason for applying for the scholarship. Having not read much about the scholarship I assumed that I would be at a significant advantage, as I could easily demonstrate my commitment to Chinese language study and have a good chance of getting close to fluency. My application included two references from teachers at BFSU and a personal statement written in Chinese as well.

After not receiving the scholarship, I can assume that there are a few things that lessen the chance of being awarded with it.

1) Having already had the chance to go to China to study (self-funded, or previous scholarship). I have got the impression that the scholarship is used as a platform to allow as many people as possible to have an opportunity to experience China, as opposed to a method by which to encourage people to reach advance levels of Chinese study. I think for people like myself the best scholarship would be the Confucius Institute one, as you have to have passed at least level 3 as a prerequisite. (My reason for not applying to this is because there are no Confucius Institutes in China that you can apply through. It seems you have to have studied at an institute outside of China.

2) It is incredibly politically motivated. I think this is something that is already known anyway. If you are from the UK there is definitely significantly less chance of receiving the scholarship.

3) Don't expect the CSC to be at all honest with you. I emailed Chen Gong before applying for the scholarship and told him about my situation and whether I should apply or not. I explained that I was unsure whether my background would serve to benefit or hinder me. I informed him that I did not want to waste a lot of money (physical exam, notarisation of documents etc) if there was not much chance of me receiving the scholarship. He of course advised that I should apply and that all application would be considered on individual merit. To be fair, I should have known this would be the case after living in China for the past two years!

I am slightly miffed at the whole process mainly because I spent a lot of time and money on the application. I'm sure there are others who feel the same! Fortunately, a good opportunity has come up in the UK and I will not be going back to China. I hope that my experiences will prevent a number of applicants wasting time and money next year.

I would like to say thank you to the organisers of this forum for providing the only reliable information relating to the scholarship. Keep up the hard work :)

• Like 1

@shuoshuo

@AmineAzzane

I applied for a masters in law (taught in English) even though age limit is 35. I know senior scholars can apply for 1 year courses, plus 1 year language if course is taught in Chinese.

I never really expected to get the scholarship, I made other plans just in case which have now all thankfully fallen into place.

However it’s good to hear that there is still a chance for people over the age limit; I hope this helps future applicants.

@djAndrews70

Thank you for sharing your sentiments. But the 2nd reason you stated might not happen at all times, I am exactly thinking the same thing when i first plan to apply for CSC scholarship, I was thinking my application will turn out to be politically biased as I have known the relationship between China and Philippines was not good because of territorial dispute (even now becoming worst), BUT I was brave enough to try and got their positive response...Now, based on my experience I can prove that CSC people have practice professionalism.

@djandrews70 - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I would like to reply with a few comments:

1 - I applied to the Confucius Institute scholarship (100% of my Chinese-education was done in China) and I got it. I contacted them via email, asked them for documents they would require because my situation was a bit different from others and they listed down the documents I needed for them to consider my application. You have nothing to lose, the Confucius Institute application costed nothing (all documents were uploaded online, as opposed to the CSC where we had to provide hardcopies). No fees, no physical examination (this will be required later for visa application).

2 - ...also @daeiram89 - I would prefer to use the word 'diplomacy' with sprinkles of neocolonialism. But let's not go there. This has got a lot to do with promoting 'guanxi' between 2 countries.

1) What is your native country? Canada

2) Where did you apply? Quebec education ministry

3) When did you apply? March

4) When was the deadline? End of March

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No.

6) What program did you apply for? 1 Year visiting student in English taught Software Engineering

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Wuhan University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? Quebec

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? School and government

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? lol wut?

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2013.

14) How were you notified? By e-mail by the ministry of eduction in Quebec

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted 25 July 2013 (partial scholarship though)

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Wuhan University - English taught Software Engineering

• New Members

Congratulations for all those who got a scholarship!

1) What is your native country? Poland

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Poland (Warsaw)

3) When did you apply? Late March 2013

4) When was the deadline? March 31st

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this is my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program followed by a four year Bachelor's degree program in International Economics & Trade

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Bejing International Studies University 2. Nanjing Normal University 3. South China Normal University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? Embassy of P.R. China in Poland

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local Medical Clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I got an official sealed transcript from my Polish university for free and then I paid for a sworn translation to English

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I do not have any stamps now.

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for a full scholarship

14) How were you notified? By email from Chinese embassy official

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted 18th July 2013

16) What school and program were you accepted to? School of Business at Nanjing Normal University

• New Members

Hello! I saw on the Chinese mission's page that I got the scholarship for Shanghai university. This is 上海大学, right? Can you tell me if this place is good, because it is not one of the well known universities (ex. Jiao Tong, Fudan)

• New Members

Dear all ,

According to the results that my university informed me last month by email , do this results will announce on CSC Online application cause it still remain same currently checking so may it change on th31 july ?

Any one who applied via MOE Or Embassy and he has got his package ?

Share my inquirements

1) Having already had the chance to go to China to study (self-funded, or previous scholarship). I have got the impression that the scholarship is used as a platform to allow as many people as possible to have an opportunity to experience China, as opposed to a method by which to encourage people to reach advance levels of Chinese study.

Nope. I got a second scholarship from the CSC.