Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2013

Brian US

1) What is your native country? U.S.

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.

3) When did you apply? Embassy recieved my application on March 19th

4) When was the deadline? April 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year Chinese language program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Tsinghua University 2. Peking University 3. Beijing Normal University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? Washington D.C.

10) Where did you get your physical done? At my local doctors office

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I was able to get my forms notarized for free at my university

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I do not know

Finally, for those getting results:

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2013

14) How were you notified? I was e-mailed by the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted late July 2013

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Beijing Normal University for one year language program

I am very sad that I did not get a place at Tsinghua University, as I studied Chinese at Tsinghua during the 2011-2012 school year.

I am actually trying to get my CSC Scholarship changed. I have a contact at Tsinghua who has spoken with the Foreign Student Office. Apparently I was originally placed at Tsinghua, but because Tsinghua has too many people, the CSC moved me to Beijing Normal.

I have talked with someone at the D.C. Embassy, and his advice was to contact BNU (or the school that you have been placed at) directly if you are trying to make a change. However, he did tell me that this process would be very difficult.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for two scholarships in China. One via my embassy (were I selected 3 preferences) and one directly in person to Zhejiang University (I was in Hangzhou on a 3 week study programme in Easter) as such I will put up results for both so people can use my experience to the full

Via Embassy

1) What is your native country? U.K

2) Where did you apply? via my embassy in Manchester ( i think it was then forwarded on to London

3) When did you apply? May 1st

4) When was the deadline? No idea, seemed to be very flexible. I was told I missed the deadline by my contact at university twice, only to be frantically called to rush to his office. Ultimately it seemed as if my embassy needed applicants and as such made time for me. Although this is just conjecture

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No

6) What program did you apply for? One year Mandarin programme

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? Zhejiang University, BLCU, Central South University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? 8261

10) Where did you get your physical done? I had it done in China at a University hospital for very cheap . (However on arrival having been awarded a scholarship I have had to get it done again at a better medical centre for around 450 yuan)

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I didn't. This was insanely difficult to find in England seemingly, so I simply photocopied them asked my university office to stamp them and got some random signatures on.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I didn't, I have yet to see these

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes

14) How were you notified? I was notified in stages keeping my panic levels at high throughout. I was awarded a certificate via email (if you search my post history you will be able to see this as I've put it on other threads) I was then emailed by my embassy to say yes I had the scholarship. It wasn't until around July 15th that I went to a meeting and received the admission notice by hand that I was sure i was going

15) When were you accepted/rejected? see above

16) What school and program were you accepted to? I was accepted to Central South University to study Mandarin ( I however turned it down for the below offer...read on)

via direct application

1) What is your native country? U.K

2) Where did you apply? at the international office of Zhejiang University

3) When did you apply? around April 10th

4) When was the deadline? Again not to sure, it seemed reasonably flexible.

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No

6) What program did you apply for? Masters in International Relations (English taught)

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? Zhejiang University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? Not sure

10) Where did you get your physical done? I had it done in China at a University hospital for very cheap . (However on arrival having been awarded a scholarship I have had to get it done again at a better medical centre for around 450 yuan)

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I didn't. I took the originals with me, and gave photocopies (so the office saw the originals first person)

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I didn't, I have yet to see these

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes

14) How were you notified? I was notified by email around July 10th. I then nervously awaited the admission notice which arrive around July 25th

15) When were you accepted/rejected? accepted

16) What school and program were you accepted to? I was accepted to Zhejiang university for the International Relations masters

I am delighted I managed to secure a scholarship in China. The process with fraught with anxiety and at managed stages i felt I had no control over the process. I simply was driven on by my hope to get to China, and the information on this site! I will be updating the Zhejiang thread at a later stage with other hopefully helpful information

P.S - Many of my fellow students from Western countries (I.e USA, UK, West Europe, Australia etc) have complained at the standards of the university. I must admit in comparison with home it is dire, but I fully expected this. I really do encourage people who want to get on a scholarship to China, to experience it in some way before so as not to suffer disappointment on arrival. I personally think its great, but my expectation levels were set correctly.

Good luck future readers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello,

I am extremely elated to have found this forum. I have some doubts about the CSC application process. If I have posted in a wrong place, please tell me ; I am just 60 seconds new to this forum.

Anyways, I am planning to do Bachelor's Degree program in Chemical Engineering in China as an International Student, especially in Tsinghua, if I am lucky enough. I am from Nepal. So, the process for 2014 has not started yet, but I'm just thinking of getting informed early. Now the main thing that confuses me is that - Tsinghua university says to follow its Online Application. Thats there, fine. Now I am applying to CSC too, for full scholarship if possible. CSC too has its own online application to fill up. So how do I start all this?

Apply to Tsinghua first through Online? And then go to CSC online? What should I do about the agency number? How can I get the agency number from Tsinghua? Can I ask Nepal Embassy in China for my agency humber? Can I ask the Nepal Embassy to become my dispatching authority? Where do I begin from ? How do I know the deadline? Please be kind to inform me all the steps. I am completely new to all this. And I need help desperately. You could email me at - praweshd@yahoo.com

Thank you.

@ PraweshD.

The best advice for you at this point is to look at http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/39094-csc-scholarship-2013-general-discussion/, which is the original topic for 2013 applications - you are currently on the results thread.

The fact of the matter is, as stated in the topic, there isn't a definitive answer as the whole CSC application process is very complicated and it involves a lot of unknown variables. 

I had a very confusing situation, like you, and found it extremely helpful to look through that topic at the posts made by other users. Some of them may have been in a similar situation and, with the beauty of hindsight, you can see whether their progress was successful. 

If you are still struggling to find an answer then don't worry as that topic was posted on the 20th of October 2012. Depending on this years being posted at around the same time, you only have a couple of weeks left to wait.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Would you help me, please? I want to try to get CSC Scholarship, and I have a question: I already have a Bachelor's degree of Architecture, but I want to do Master's degree of "Computer Network and Information System", is it possible to get a master's degree in another field by CSC Scholarship? Or I have no chance and should have the same Bachelor's degree to do Master's degree?

Thank you.

ZhangKaiRong,

how about HSK? If I want to take Chinese Language Program, will possessing HSK certificate in certain level increase my possibility getting the scholarship?

If anyone has received one year language program without possessing HSK, it will be really appreciated letting me know

Thank you!

@augustinahs: I got the CGS without the HSK. And I have a friend who had HSK5, and didn't get the same scholarship... Chinese scholarships are unpredictable, so to say. It may depend on where you apply for the scholarship, if you apply for the CGS EU Window, the trend is that without an HSK you have a better chance to get it.

@simplet

Of course I was talking about the Chinese Language Programs. augistinahs asked information about the Chinese Language Program, or am I wrong?! Of course, if you want to apply for a degree program, that's another story.

hi, my physician is confused to fill the physical examination form. I found the blood test should cover all this: ALT,AST,TRIG,CHOL,BUN,CREA,HIV,Syphilis and Hbsag

(http://isc.bit.edu.cn/show.aspx?id=134&cid=67).

From the physical examination form, I noticed the blood test only need to cover for HIV and Syphilis only?

Please advise.

Dear 2013 CSC applicants,

Those of you that received a scholarship and came to China will now have settled in at your university.

To help future students, I'd like to ask you to write something about your university and your time there. We have a list of universities in China, where you can find a link to the discussion for your university
http://www.chinese-f...iversity-index/

and some advice about what to write here
http://www.chinese-f...eviews-a-guide/

If your university isn't listed, let Roddy know and he will add it.

I'm posting this here as it's the easiest way to reach a bunch of CSC hopefuls - over 70 of them are subscribed to this topic.

Thanks!

• Like 1