Chinese-Forums

Change of all Chinese visa regulations on July 1st 2013?

zhouhaochen

• New Members

Convert Tourist Visa to Study Visa after new regulations july 2013

As the topic says, is this possible? If its not possible, do someone have source?

And should people living in China and working at a university, be aware of the new regulation or possibly new regulations before 4th of July?

Joey

@Joey

I just made a new visa July 2nd, the new regulations took place the first. I came to China this year in January on a L visa and later got converted to an F visa by my university since I was taking one semester of classes. I just received the CSC scholarship so I had to get a new visa and it was no problem. I'm getting my passport back on Tuesday but I think they made me a residence permit, I am not sure if they gave me a Student X visa as well since that is just an entry visa, but this process was done without a hitch.

The schools all know about these new laws I should think, at least my school had posters from the PSB about these new laws in the international school office.

I'm currently in HK - Visa agency, had F before.

Now I have to apply first for a 30 days - sometimes applicants get it, sometimes just 14 days.

When having 2 visas from outside China in ones passport, it is possible to try a one year, business, 60 days stay max for 7200 HKD!

Fastest possibility for most countries is 4 days, Spain and Italy seem to be faster (2 days).

Did anyone already find anything out how to get a longer term visa?

I called several agents in Shenzhen and some could do it for around 6000 RMB.

• 3 weeks later...
Merging. It's appreciated if you make clear when you're linking to your own site.

I think that's a little excessive in this case (and whoever gave him the negative feedback). He's used his real name as his login, and the link is information unequivocally pertaining to the thread. A translation of the entire law, plus interpretation, provides breaking information that forum goers otherwise would have to pay good (legal rates) money for.

I gave him the negative feedback.

A translation of the entire law

Not exactly. Here's the entire law, in English http://www.mps.gov.cn/n16/n84147/n84196/3837042.html

I voted him down because he never mentioned there is an actual English version of the law, he did extensive marketing nevertheless (I saw posts about his blog on all China-related English-language websites). What really bothered me was that he didn't translate the entire law and he never even mentioned that the translation isn't complete.

to pay good (legal rates) money

Well, how else would he attract new customers? Many people are confused by what's happening in China now and he can squeeze as much as he wants from them.

• 1 month later...

Let me just offer a correction: when I posted above on July 23, what I wanted to contribute to the discussion on this topic was that I had spent time making a complete English translation of the State Council's visa regulations issued the day before. One member was annoyed that I didn't link to the government's English translation--but in fact the government has still not issued an English translation of the State Council regulations, only of the statute enacted by the National People's Congress Standing Committee back in 2012.

As a lawyer and a law school professor, I'm passionate about the law, and immigration law in particular. I don't have all the answers, but I do have something to contribute to the discussion, whether it's the Q&A about the new regulations I mentioned above or the "All about Visas" podcast released yesterday for the Economic Observer newspaper.

The new regulations, effective September 1, 2013, will have a significant impact on both foreign nationals and their employers in China.

• Like 2

so anyone has details on what exactly will happen on the 1st of September? Translated websites and laws aside, all I can tell since July 1st is that applying for and extending visas has become a lottery, with vastly different kinds of visas granted for people with similar backgrounds handing the same applications at the same place. It always was a bit like this, but has definitely become worse. Besides that I have not seen any real change, except that L-visa extensions in Beijing do not seem to be given as generously as before.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, might have been addressed previously but just wanted to get some recent feedback. If we take 1 semester at a university and then decide (say 1/2 way through the semester) to take another semester at the same university, is it possible under the new laws to extend student visa / residence permit without leaving china? Any advice appreciated!