Chinese-Forums

Short courses in China

Guest smurf

Has anyone got any advice on where is a good place to study Chinese for a short course (maybe a month or so). I've been living in China for two years, so my Chinese is passable, but something intensive would really do me some good.

Problem is I'd be looking for something starting around the middle/end of September and everything seems aimed at the summer period.

I'm not really fussed about location, except I don't really want to be paying a fortune in living costs, which may rule out Beijing/Shanghai.

You could try the private Chinese schools - ie the Bridge School in Beijng (www.bridgeschool.com) which I've heard good things about. However you are only going to find these in the bigger cities.

I don't think living in Beijing or Shanghai means you are going to spend a lot of money - you just have the opportunity to spend more money, which is often the same thing. If you can figure out cheap accomodation, you can live as cheaply as any other city.

Roddy

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I offer short intensive courses (as well as regular classes) in Beijing. I am a professional Mandarin teacher with a degree in Chinese linguistics and literature and 20 years teaching experience in China and Europe.

I use a communicative language approach, which integrates pronunciation training, listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, and controlled as well as freer practice (eg. role-plays). If you have specific interests regarding Chinese culture, I can structure some of the lessons around a certain topic (cultural, historical, literary etc).

My classroom is right in the centre of Beijing, 10mn walk from the Forbidden City and from the southern entrance to Beihai Park, on the west side of the park.

For more information, please email me at zhuang@talk21.com.

PS. Current and former employers or individuals taught at:

Beijing University;

British Chamber of Commerce, Beijing;

American Chamber of Commerce, Beijing;

Wall Street Institute, Beijing;

London School of Economics (LSE), Language Centre;

School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London;

Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London;

China Britain Business Council (CBBC), London;

Great Britain China Centre (GBCC), London;

Major companies and lawfirms in London, eg Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Bloomberg, McKinsey, British Petrol, Freshfields etc;

United Nations, Vienna;

Caribbean Language and Culture Institute, Belize.