Chinese-Forums

Life and study in Kunming- some questions

nath

Hi all,

I've been teaching in a non-foreigner middle-of-nowhere city in south China for the last 8 months, and have decided that at the end of my contract I'm going to take some 'time out' to properly get stuck into learning Mandarin having learnt it part-time now for 4 months.

I'm a bit lost as to where to study, but based on a previous visit, Kunming seems a good choice- biggish city, good weather, Mandarin speakers, not in the middle of nowhere etc.

However, I'm after some advice of how I should study. I was looking at Keats, but I'm reluctant to get into a class of Westerners to learn another language. PLus their one-to-one rates are a bit wallet busting for my liking. I suppose what I'm asking is that is it possible to rock up and find a tutor for two hours a day circa 30RMB an hour for 20 weeks?

If I go the class option, I'd rather be put in with a load of Koreans or Japanese- at least then I can avoid chatting English after class.Is there anywhere like this in the area? If not, would a city like Dalian be a better shout?

My last question is how the hell I go about renting somewhere. I'm not overly fussed about location, but would like some idea off how much I will pay and how I'd find a place.

Grateful for some insights from all you lovely people :)

• Like 1

Definitely more Koreans and Japanese in the north-east, but they tend to go for more exam-focused sit-and-be-talked-to classes. Is that what you really want? A class full of foreigners isn't a bad thing, if it's well-taught, and the other students are keen and not too far off your level.

As for finding a tutor - sure, you can do that in any city. 30RMB sounds low for anyone actually good at their job though, but not sure about Kunming.

• Like 1

I suppose what I'm asking is that is it possible to rock up and find a tutor for two hours a day circa 30RMB an hour for 20 weeks?

Lets talk about this one first since it's simplest. 30 RMB an hour is possible but less likely than it was a couple years ago. I'd plan on paying 50, and maybe you'll be lucky enough to find someone for a little less. I've had private tutors here off and on for the last 5 or 6 years. Plenty of good ones available, as well as some duds. Would add that I think it's important to have some structured lessons using a textbook and not just find a native speaker with whom to chat.

If I go the class option, I'd rather be put in with a load of Koreans or Japanese- at least then I can avoid chatting English after class.Is there anywhere like this in the area?

Nothing like that here so far as I know. You will have at least some English speakers any place you take group classes. I handle that issue by just replying in Chinese when addressed in English. Most of the other students don't like that at all and shun me like a leper. Most don't want to play the "All Chinese all the time" game. I don't much care, since I have enough local Chinese friends and don't want to hang out with foreigners anyhow. (I'm not saying this is necessarily the best solution.)

My last question is how the hell I go about renting somewhere. I'm not overly fussed about location, but would like some idea off how much I will pay and how I'd find a place.

Suggest dealing with this last, after you figure out where you want to study so as to avoid a long commute. Location is actually rather important since Kunming traffic is notoriously snarled and slow. Reasonable housing is still available, though of course prices have steadily risen. A shared flat is a good way to go, since it drastically reduces expenses. Particularly recommended if you share a place with someone who has been around a while and can help show you the local ropes.

Be glad to tell you more about Kunming as your process moves along.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, sorry about the late reply to this. I'm leaning towards just booking up at 20 week class at Keats for 4000 RMB and then getting a tutor on top. They recommended 58.com to find an apartment, but is there a better option? I suppose I could arrive, hostel it for a week or two, and then find somewhere...

Sounds like a workable plan; lots of people do exactly that.

Personally, I find 58.com hard to use, but I don't know of a better real estate website. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what neighborhoods are a better value than others. Don't make a decision until you see a place in person.

You can sometimes find ads in GoKunming. The caution is that they often are written to sound like individual placements, but are actually from agents. And a listing in English will automatically ask for a higher rent. (Foreigners are rich.)

I suppose I could arrive, hostel it for a week or two, and then find somewhere...

That's usually how I do it. Just walk around to small neighborhood agents and ask to be shown what's available in your price range that meets your specs. At first it can be baffling, but as you go along, you will get a feel for how many RMB buys what. You will also be able to better define what you absolutely must have and where you are willing to compromise.

It does take some legwork unless you just happen to get lucky. It's sort of a Zen balancing act: you don't want to be in too much of a hurry, but on the other hand, you don't want to let a good property to slip away. Prime opportunities are generally very brief. What you see today will be gone tomorrow. Demand exceeds supply by a wide margin.

• Like 1

Thanks again for another comprehensive reply! A couple more questions though-

Based on where Keats is based, 东风东路, how much am I looking at for a shared flat? (Roughly speaking, for budget purposes).

Second, what's it like for foreigners to find work there? I'm currently a uni teacher, so tuition is an option. I'm also a trained journalist, so writing is a second. However, for improving Chinese, is there any jobs going that would take on foreigner with broken, but improving mandarin?

Thirdly, fancy a beer when I arrive? :P

#6 -- That immediate area (intersection of Dongfeng Donglu and Baita Lu) 东风东路和白塔路的十字路口 has gone upscale, but it is still workable to find something reasonable within a short bus ride or bike ride. Must qualify my answer by adding that I didn't house hunt this year; found a good one last year through a friend and just renewed it when I came back. That means my guesses might be a tad off the mark.

But I would think you can get a two bedroom flat with living room, bathroom, and kitchen for around 2,000 RMB a month. Share it with another student, add utilities and management fee, and it should work out about 1,200 per month or maybe a little less for each person. I'm talking about a flat in an old building (six story walk up) that has basic furniture and appliances, maybe 80 or 90 square meters 平方米。

Some new tall housing complexes have sprung up nearby. One is 上东城 near the corner of 人民东路 and 换成东路,near WalMart and Yan'An Hospital 延安医院。 The problem with new places like that is that most are rented unfurnished. They also tend to be more expensive than an old place.

Staff at Keats School may have some other suggestions. They are a helpful crew, even though they are also quite busy. You can tell them you've been in touch with 柏峰 Bai Feng.

I don't know much about the job scene (I'm retired,) but as a trained and experience teacher of English at the University level, I'm sure you won't have a problem landing a good teaching position. Journalism will be harder.

Be glad to have a beer if our schedules coincide. Lately I've been traveling a lot, so I'm in and out of Kunming. Send me a PM when you get here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nath,

I'll be arriving in KM to study next week. If you still haven't found an apartment I'm up for going apartment hunting with you. I'm going to be studying at KUST. I'm not sure where in relation to KEATS that is.

Also, I'd be up to meet for a beer. I don't know anyone in Kunming yet!

Hi Rin, I won't be arriving until late August due to my contract at the moment, but I'd love to meet up. I'm still debating between Keats and KUST actually, and have emailed the later for more information on their courses. Hope all goes well before I arrive!! Let us know

• 6 months later...

Hello together, my name is Billy and I live in Switzerland. I will be in Kunming from march 21 until april 19 (2014) to study Mandarin. It is my plan to find an appartement and to study everyday 2 hours with a professional teacher (textbook) and two hours with a local student in conversation. What do you think? Should I plan everything in advance or should I arrive in Kunming, stay in a hotel for a few nights and go from there. Has anybody any experience with qualified students who like to make conversation (Tandem: i speak german, english, french) or should I pay the student? I did study in Harbin, but there I organised everything beforehand.

Thank you for your opinion and kind regards

Billy

Should I plan everything in advance or should I arrive in Kunming, stay in a hotel for a few nights and go from there.

Best to arrive and look around in person before selecting a place to live.

Since you will only be here for one month, you will need to either rent a serviced apartment or stay in a hotel/ hostel at a weekly or monthly rate.

Worth noting that some language schools offer lodging. Makes things infinitely simpler. Keats is one that I have attended in the past. Do a forum search for information on it.

Your study plan looks OK, but a language exchange is not very time efficient. Better, in my opinion, to pay both for tutoring and for conversation practice. Not everyone will agree with that advice. You may need more than one conversation partner, since most university students won't have enough free time to meet with you every day.

Have a look at GoKunming to get an idea of available tutors and language practice partners.

• Like 1

Dear unknown Texas and Kunming Resident, thank you very much for your advise to pay somebody for conversation. I agree. What shall I pay for two hours of conversation. Thanks for a hint. Kind regards

Billy

Billy,

About 50 Yuan an hour is the going rate. May be more if you hire a professional teacher and it may be less if you find a "moonlighting" graduate student.

Regardless of how much you pay, it can be sort of hit or miss to find one that works out well for you.

• Like 1