Chinese-Forums

Are Transportation Cards Still In Use?

shuoshuo

I haven't been to Shanghai for several years now and I will be returning soon. Can someone tell me if people are still using the old transportation cards (交通卡)? A friend told me that I'm in for a big surprise because there have been so many changes since I was last there. I am wondering if this is one of those changes?

The last time I was there, Guangzhou had this system whereby they could use mobile phone sim cards if they want to travel by subway. I heard that they had plans to implement this system in Shanghai. But when I left, we were still using the transportation cards.

Thanks!

Yes, the transportation cards are very much still in use on the subways and taxis - that's one thing that hasn't changed.

I haven't heard of using one's mobile phone card to pay for transport.

• Like 1

There are cell phone apps which you can use to order a taxi. From what I understand, you specify your location and destination as well as a "bid" which is the extra over and above the metered fee you are prepared to pay - so if you want to go somewhere out of the way during rush hour, you can can bid high and be sure to get a taxi.

I've heard that one of these apps has a promotion that will add credit to your cellphone if you use the app to order a taxi.

However, I haven't tried them myself.

• Like 1