Chinese-Forums

Best Chinese bank card for on-line use

abcdefg

I'm wondering what mainland China bank offers the best debit card for on-line use. I would only be using it inside China. Doesn't need to be a multi-currency card; RMB only would be fine.

I already have a BOC account that I use for face-to-face card swipes in stores and for ATM cash withdrawals. I'd like to set up another smaller account at a different bank for on-line use. Plan to keep the balance fairly low and keep the two accounts totally separate to reduce the impact of any possible fraud.

Would like to be able to do simple things, such as check the balance and review recent transactions, on the bank's web site, preferably with the option to do it in English. Would be a big plus if the website is fairly user friendly. Plan to link this card to Taobao and to E-Long for starters.

I don't need to connect it to a US bank account or transfer money back and forth or do anything else of an international nature. I have a China physical address and mobile phone number. Realize those are sometimes required, especially the latter.

I read Skylee's thread from last year about Taobao shopping and AliPay. Will probably have questions on those adventures later. But getting a bank account I can use on line seems to be the first step.

http://www.chinese-f...148-taobao-淘寶網/

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Thanks, both of you. I know where a large ICBC branch is located not far away.

I will try using the Chinese language website. It looks pretty straight forward. But it's nice to know an English version is available in case I get lost or mixed up.

Will use Windows and Internet Explorer. I realize many e-commerce sites in the mainland require that.

I use Bank of China for online banking. At first, it was really confusing how to use. And at times, the payment system annoys me. Mainly, it annoys me that the payment site insists I use Internet Explorer. IE only?? What the hell year is it? It's especially annoying when I forget this detail and have to close the Chrome window, open IE, and figure out how to get back to the checkout page without accidentally buying the item twice.

However, I've heard other Chinese services have the same problem, and other than that, I like the system. I have used it on Taobao and Amazon.cn multiple times. I only need the little signal thing that sends a number and my cellphone to pay, meaning I don't have to get out my credit card and worry about entering a 16-digit number wrong. Checking your balance online is fairly easy: I like that it gives me a shortcut to check my balance right before I click the button to pay. I don't have to fill out my billing address or other personal information, which saves time. The system also seems fairly secure. So I would say, other than the IE issue, I am happy with Bank of China.

I use China Construction Bank for online banking. And so far, I've been happy with it. It works well on Firefox and Chrome. Just don't forget to uncheck use proxy (if you have checked the box) or the payment webpage will get stuck.

I use ICBC, I prefer their security device above that of the rest.

BOC requires SMS verification now, my number changes too often and I wont be able to use it if I'm outside China.

Most others require using a USB slot, which I never have enough of and hate having to work with.

I actually have 2 ICBC accounts, 1 for normal banking, 1 for online transactions. I keep little money in the online transaction account.

Why have I never found an English option for ICBC online banking?

This morning was spent banking; not a quick process. Best to take a bottle of water, a good book, an apple, a sandwich and a change of underwear. Maybe a compass and matches.

First went to ICBC and filled out many forms to open an account and make an initial deposit. Then waited in a separate line in the "Non Cash Services" area to set up the account for on line use. After plenty more forms, they gave me a battery operated security device to use in generating a PIN number good for only a single transaction. The lady called it an 安全工具,but I'm not quite sure what this thing is really called in any language, so I've attached a photo. Realize it's used in "two-factor verification" to improve security. It would seem I'm all set.

Afterwards I visited the BOC next door to ask about using my existing debit card for on-line transactions as a back up. Wondered if I would need to be issued a similar device to the one ICBC gave me. They said no, just use your regular PIN number. That didn't seem very secure. I don't know if the transaction would actually require verification by SMS. Wouldn't surprise me to learn there are differences in procedure from one BOC to the next.

As of this point I haven't yet tried using either account on-line. The need to employ IE as the browser is definitely a drawback. Didn't realize how dependent I had become on the Perapera plugin with Firefox. By the way, I was surprised to find no English spoken at either bank. The employees were helpful, nonetheless.

Appreciate all the advice and good help. Kenny, it's good to know CCB can run on Chrome. Matty, I like the idea of having two accounts, one specifically for on-line use. West Texas, is "the little signal thing" to which you're referring similar to what ICBC gave me?

post-20301-0-51894500-1372144773_thumb.jpg

The signal thing is shaped like a tooth. It has a little screen. When I push the button, it picks up a cellphone signal and spits out a number. I then enter this number, along with another 6-digit number that is sent to my cellphone, into two boxes on the online interface. Then I click enter and the transaction goes through.

#14 -- Thanks. Sounds very secure. Also sounds different from what I got. Don't think mine requires use of a cell phone. They offered me several security options that I didn't really understood. That combo could have been one I declined. Long lines of people behind me; bank clerk and I were both working under fairly much stress.

Still got to commend the bank because the lady took the time to warn me about phishing schemes (she called it 钓鱼) and to never log in to the bank's website unless the name of it was written precisely like it's supposed to be. The lady said every week customers come in after being duped by logging on at "www.icbg" or "www.ixbc" or something else close.

From what I have read, China is rife with internet fraud.

I use BOC and the security device is a USB device that you need to unlock with a PIN and then confirm on the device. No phone required (although I think they did ask at first -- I knew I was going to change numbers so declined).

BOCs phishing protection is a phrase you can set yourself - so put some text that is particular to yourself and it will show up each time you login, hence proving that it's not a phishing site... unless they hacked the bank and took your text in which case you're screwed anyway.

Like most of China it's IE and Windows only (fine by me) but the annoying part is the website complains if your resolution isn't 1024x768. Still works though. English is available, two different web designs, and a VIP site to boot. Not sure what you get differently in VIP online banking except a different login button to press.

I actually worry more about the physical security of the card (e.g. card skimming) than online purchases.

I use BOC and the security device is a USB device that you need to unlock with a PIN and then confirm on the device. No phone required (although I think they did ask at first -- I knew I was going to change numbers so declined).

Wow, I'm here in Nanning, Guangxi... when suddenly my account started requiring SMS verification I went to a branch and asked them to disable it, they said it can't be disabled. I went to another branch, same answer. I had them call up a head branch or whatever and got the same answer that for security you must use SMS verification. I haven't used BOC since then.

As for VIP... need to have a lot of money in your account and I believe BOC also gives you free transfers between linked accounts country wide. So no 1% loss when transferring from Beijing to Harbin. - If I've remembered the correct bank.

As for VIP... need to have a lot of money in your account and I believe BOC also gives you free transfers between linked accounts country wide.

BOC told me yesterday (Kunming) that such an account required a balance of 20 万 or more (over 200,000 RMB.) They said one of the other advantages was that using an ATM in another city would be free. Plus your card is an eye-popping gold color, so you can impress the checker at Walmart. And when you go to the bank and take a number, you get to wait in a much shorter line.

Related to that, I've noticed quite a few people using bank cards for very small purchase, maybe 25 or 30 RMB. I also have young Chinese friends who take pride in showing off a whole deck of assorted bank cards. I guess it's a phase they are going through, but it also smacks of "conspicuous consumption," which I doubt is a Confucian virtue.

• 4 months later...