Chinese-Forums

What documents do you get after new HSK?

jonas90d

• New Members

So I have passed new HSK 5, and I'm wondering what certificate do you get? Do you just receive a single paper score report and nothing more than that? Is that paper what you use when you are asked to prove your proficiency?

Thanks!

Yes, a single paper score report is indeed all you get. It provides the maximum amount of points in each section, as well as the maximum overall score, and gives your score in comparison. Nowhere is it stated that the passing mark is 160 points and whether the bearer of said certificate has passed the exam or not.

Here's a rather low quality image of an actual score report: http://www.shmedu.cn/uploads/news/43241369274004.jpg

• Like 1

Nowhere is it stated that the passing mark is 160 points and whether the bearer of said certificate has passed the exam or not.

In fact, below the full score and your score colums, you can see: 总分180分为合格(Passing Score: 180).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, today I went and asked at Confucius Institute what the deal is and the lady there said that most probably Hanban have decided to simply omit that piece of information. I'm curious to know whether the others who took the HSK this year have this written on their reports or not.

I'm curious to know whether the others who took the HSK this year have this written on their reports or not

I did HSK level 4 at SOAS in London 2013/05/11 and I picked up the certificate from there about 2 weeks ago.

I have just checked. My report is exactly the same format a Geiko's above, including the text " 总分180分为合格(Passing Score: 180)".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have an update. I wrote to chinesetest.cn yesterday to ask about the score report and whether they can reissue them with the passing mark indicated, and this is what I received today:

Hello, HSK5&6 ,there are no passing score now. The passing score decided by schools or recruiters. So there is no the sentence “总分180分为合格 (Passing Score: 180)” written under the score report. But HSK1~4 still have passing score ,so they have “总分180分为合格 (Passing Score: 180)”. They are different .

So your score report is correct ,and please keep it well.

CTI

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Don, thanks for the update, I hadn't read your message until now. So now HSK 5 and 6 don't have a passing score per se? That explains why Johnk and I both had that sentence written on our score report, we both took HSK 4. Thanks again for the information!

• 2 months later...

You can read http://hsktests.com/category/hsk-info/ for more info on what the test results can mean for your future. But in short:

1. University. Your certificate allows you to enter a Chinese university or grad school program without having to go through language school first. Most schools want at least a level 4 certificate.
  2. Work. Employers will want to see your HSK certificate to feel comfortable with your Chinese ability in the office. For foreigners, this is usually a requirement for entering the Chinese corporate world.
  3. Translation. It used to be that passing the highest level of the OLD HSK counted as proof of your ability to translate Chinese to your native language. But with the new HSK being easier than the old HSK, this might not be true any longer.

Anyway, check out http://hsktests.com/category/hsk-info/ for more info.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don't understand the below quote at all. Does this mean they just removed a sentence saying you passed, but provide a score breakdown, or are they just telling you whether you passed or failed without any other information whatsoever?

Hello, HSK5&6 ,there are no passing score now. The passing score decided by schools or recruiters. So there is no the sentence “总分180分为合格 (Passing Score: 180)” written under the score report. But HSK1~4 still have passing score ,so they have “总分180分为合格 (Passing Score: 180)”. They are different .

So your score report is correct ,and please keep it well.

CTI

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for necro... But opening a new topic for something already discussed is usually also criticized..  :P

Has anybody taken the test recently and can confirm there is no "certificate" anymore, just the "score report"? I went through my HSK documents from 2013, but no sign of any certificate, all I found was 1 page - the score report. I am not sure whether I've ever received a certificate and may have thrown it away.

Some old information from 2004 says: "Chinese proficiency certificates are permanently valid. As a proof of Chinese proficiency for foreign students applying for enrollment into different types of schools at various levels in China, HSK scores are valid for two years from the date of examination."

That info is from 2004, so before the "new" HSK was introduced. Certificate permanently valid, score report 2 years. Somehow this implies there were 2 different documents in the past. So what is the situation nowadays regarding validity?