Chinese-Forums

What is the Cost of rent and fruits in Shenzhen, Shantou and Chaozhou, Shanwei?

quanzhou

1. What is the cost of:

-Watermelon

-Banana

-Peach

-miscellaneous tropical fruits

2. What would be the cost of rent, cheap but safe neighborhood? Or is China pretty safe unlike Brazil?

3. How can an American citizen reside there? Do you have to renew visa every few months to live there by going over to another country?

4. Do they speak Mandarin in Shanwei?

What a bizarre series of questions.

1) Depends on the time of year. Same as anywhere else. And how much the vendor thinks he can gouge out of the naive foreigner.

2) Depends on the level of accommodation. What are you looking for? a A room. An apartment. A mansion? China tends to be safe.

3) As with any other country, China has immigration laws. You need a reason to be there. You can't just turn up and set up home. Various visas or residence permits are issued depending on your personal circumstances and reason for being in China.

4) Some do. Some don't. Cantonese is more common, but the local preference is a Min-Nan dialect.

1) How much does it cost in Spring? Summer? Fall? Winter?

2) a room or an apartment. But would be interested in knowing the price for a mansion too.

3) I heard that for some countries you can basically live there on a travel visa by crossing the border to a nearby country and coming back to renew the travel visa every 3 months. Can something like this be done in China too?

4) Thanks.

This is too bizarre to be real. Are you for real? I mean really? Are you seriously asking for the seasonal fluctuation in fruit prices in China?

Maybe you could help me, coincidently I have been wondering about the seasonal fluctuation in the price of fruit in your country? By the kilo would be preferable.

Thanks!

Of course, to be complete the prices should take account of such variables as inflation, deflation, fuel prices, the weather, the time of day, the freshness of the fruit, the type of banana etc (there is more than one), the type of outlet, bulk buying discounts (do you want one banana or the whole tree?), the mood of the vendor (whether he got his conjugal rights the previous night, whether he has a hangover, whether he enjoyed his lunch, etc), and many more.

Perhaps the OP could tell us the price of coconuts on February 12th, 2014 at approximately 4 pm.

I'm also wondering, in the light of the claim to be desirous of an idyllic life munching on fruit while gazing cheaply at mountains, (s)he has chosen one of the flatter and more expensive parts of China.

There is a lot I'm wondering.

There must be an average price at least?

Bananas cost the same year round in the states where I live.

Could you recommend some places that are inexpensive?

The reason why I want to enquire about China is mainly because of the mountains. I think they have the best looking mountains.

Actually, I have the same questions but I've been too embarrassed to ask, so I am glad someone else does!

But I would prefer a town with mountains in the back, but looking out at the sea. Sort of like Cape Town. Safe neighbourhood is a must of course. And I'm more a pineapple type of person, I don't care for bananas.

:wink:

Dalian is quite hilly. No huge mountains, but nice scenery along the coastline with rocky hills behind.

Not by the sea, but the old part of Dali has mountains on one side, and a lake on the other, making for quite spectacular scenery. For anyone that's interested, I'm specifically thinking about the setting of San Ta (三塔).

is it just me or are some of the foreigners wanting to live in China looking for a ridiculous fantasyland? I'm thinking of not only this thread, but also another one about a year ago where some guy said he wanted to live in a place with few foreigners, then listed a half dozen qualities lots of foreigners want.

Like, you want to live in a cheap place near the ocean with views of the mountains? This is something you insist on? Really? No place with mountains AND ocean is going to be cheap. You are hardly the only person who likes mountains or oceans, and as for people who are fastidious about both, they are all looking for one of the few places in the world that has both, and some of them are going to pay big money for it.

Are there really people who just go crazy if their house isn't next to mountains AND the ocean? I live in a perfectly flat, inland area. You know what? I don't care. Yes, I like mountains, but I'm sure if I lived next to them, it would stop being such a big deal after a few weeks or so.

• Like 2

Hey, to each their own! You got your flat inland area, I want a Chinese Cape Town! But safe! It can't be too much to ask for?

I've been considering relocating to Bergen, Norway. But I'm a pineapple person and the fact that in Bergen you can only find Whale, seal, dried fish, smoked fish, and more fish, puts me off a bit.

... psst, I was trying to joke ...

By the way, do they have the choice of organic bananas over there?

Can't move for the damn things. They are everywhere.

Don't you know? All food in China is organic and all bananas are hand picked by beautiful virgin handmaidens who only ever wash in pure morning dew while singing under the palm trees.

banana1.jpg

and all bananas are hand picked by beautiful virgin handmaidens who only every wash in pure morning dew while singing under the palm trees

The vendors can be organic beauties, too.

P1050163.jpg