Chinese-Forums

What is the Cost of rent and fruits in Shenzhen, Shantou and Chaozhou, Shanwei?

quanzhou

Bergen is pretty.

HK is Chinese, is safe, has spring, summer,fall winter, mountains, sea, fish, watermelons, peaches, bananas and pineapples. There are also whales and seals in the Ocean Park.

But we don't really speak Mandarin in HK, and it is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

HK is Chinese, is safe, has spring, summer,fall winter, mountains, sea, fish, watermelons, peaches, bananas and pineapples. There are also whales and seals in the Ocean Park.

But no mountains.

The vendors can be organic beauties, too.

P1050163.jpg

Dashing! "Handsome local folk in appealing outfit" is definitely on the list of things that make a city attractive. Besides fresh tropical fruit and the cheap mountain view.

#4 --

I heard that for some countries you can basically live there on a travel visa by crossing the border to a nearby country and coming back to renew the travel visa every 3 months. Can something like this be done in China too?

To get off the fruit for a minute, the answer to this one is no. You can do that for up to one year, but not beyond. In addition to Thailand, you might want to look into Malaysia. It fits at least some of your criteria, though you will need to show proof of some assets and income.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/

• 3 months later...

I'm just in Beijing, and I find fruit quite pricey, compared with cooked meals in the little street restaurants. Or is it just me? Or is cooked food just insanely cheap? Of course I'd suspect I am getting the tourist price, but the locals who queue with me obviously pay the same.

PS - on these clear autumn days, Beijing has got a mountain (or rather, hill, but for "hills" they're quite big) view too :)

I'm just in Beijing, and I find fruit quite pricey, compared with cooked meals in the little street restaurants. Or is it just me?

The price of fruits (and vegetables) depends to a large extent on what is in season. Also, the best values are items that are grown nearby. 

It's not always easy to know what is local plus at the peak of its harvest time when you are just visiting a place. One tip is to watch what the old ladies buy and do likewise.

• Like 1

I loved how seasonal fruit was in Yinchuan, at least at the fruit stalls on the street. We had two weeks of amazing nectarines then one day, POW! didn't see them again. I also really enjoyed the pick up trucks loaded with melons during "melon season".

Now I'm in Beijing this kind of thing isn't as obvious. I guess I could ask the vendor if something is 'in season' or grown local but, I reckon some of the ones round here would just give me the answer they thought I wanted me to hear so I bought the fruit!

Now I'm in Beijing this kind of thing isn't as obvious. I guess I could ask the vendor if something is 'in season' or grown local but, I reckon some of the ones round here would just give me the answer they thought I wanted me to hear so I bought the fruit!

Don't know about the 'in season' part, but I used to ask my fruit seller where the various fruits came from and always got an answer that sounded truthful to me. The apples were usually from Sichuan, the rest I don't remember. I don't think she had reason to lie.

And OP: consider Taiwan. Oceans, mountains, lots of fruit, and they speak Mandarin. Price of housing depends on where you live, the south is a lot cheaper than Taipei. The visa situation depends on what passport you have, but more and more countries have agreements where their citizens can stay for 3 months visa-free.