Chinese-Forums

Work for the unqualified and inexperienced

SpecialLensWearer

Is blogging for a tourist business like a hotel or tour organiser a possible job in China??

I would not expect to get rich. Perhaps it's possible to get paid in accomodation and food etc.?

You did. I merged them. I'm merging them again. I've also re-titled your topic.

Seriously, just get an English teaching job if you can, and do it badly. That's what most English teachers do anyway, and at least the work will be easy to get.

If I teach English I would have to find a job where my SpLDs were not a major obsticle. I know that this is possible but not easy to do. Mentioning this when applying for work is likely to put employers off. The idea of the blogging job is that it would involve discussing what a student/client had written and making changes that could be explained. In this way I could perhaps find the niche where I was confident that I was doing a good job.

Has anyone else had to dealt with similar obsticles??

Seriously, just get an English teaching job if you can, and do it badly. That's what most English teachers do anyway, and at least the work will be easy to get.
Yes, this. You have a university degree, you want to spend some time in Asia, you don't need a serious job or career yet, you don't expect high pay, this is basically the profile of every other English teacher in East Asia. With your qualifications, chances are you can't work legally, which means you risk a large fine and/or getting kicked out of the country. But chances are you can get a job without much trouble. I don't know what SpLDs are but surely you can find a job where they are not that much of an issue. And if they are, you can just go home again.

You can look for a job online before going, or you can just go and find something. Whatever you do, make sure you always have enough money for a ticket back home, and I think that you'll have a pretty good time in China.

There are blogging and writing jobs available. I'm currently editing this site for Hainan Tourism: http://en.visithainan.gov.cn/en/index.aspx

Just saw this too and thought someone here (OP or someone else) might be interested: http://blog.italki.com/2013/07/job-opening-at-italki-marketing-copywriter/

Good luck and happy writing and editing everyone :)

Thanx. That type of job looks interesting and potentially fun. Personally I think I’m under qualified for that specific one but perhaps I could do the same type of work for a different business.

I am happy to teach English part time or as part of a job involving other stuff but as mentioned I would have to make sure it was the type of teaching I’d be comfortable with. Is it possible to be selective with who and where you teach? Are there backpacker type businesses that could offer a type of combined role involving some blogging, some English teaching and other more general stuff where English is needed?

Should I mention that I'm 32 and also interested in Taiwan??

Don't mention you're interested in Taiwan when you're going to China (and vice versa). For more information on Taiwan, check out forumosa.com, they are more Taiwan-oriented than this forum.

Being 32 might help getting a job, because older people may be seen as a bit wiser and more mature than a 20-something.

If you're a private teacher, you can be as selective as you like in whom or where you teach. If you teach in a school, you would of course be expected to teach anyone the school puts in your class.