Chinese-Forums

Rock/Metal hangouts in Shanghai

Odd Soul

Hi,

I'm a metalhead from Singapore and will be moving to Shanghai soon for work and was wondering if there are any good night spots for rock and metal music in Shanghai. I'm into everything from 70's hard rock to death and progressive metal. I got some useful info from painkillermag but I'm hoping to hear your views and opinions on the Shanghai rock/metal scene.

Also, which is the best musical instrument store in Shanghai? Are most major brands available?

Many thanks...

Hi there,

Well... there is no real rock bar in Shanghai that is playing metal / rock the whole time. But pretty good music is played in the Harley's Bar, nearby the Xujiahui Metro station, Exit 2, turn left 20meters.

There are some good music stores, but I have neither a name nor an address, but I can find out for you.

Send me an email to mlvonschaper@yahoo.de and I see what I can do for you.

ROCK ON!!!

Azchael

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • New Members

soooo, i'll be going to shanghai this sept for a year. since the last post about this topic was from 2005, i was wondering if any1 might know if there are some news about the rock/metal scene in shanghai - any1?

• 4 weeks later...

Five years have passed and I'm not as into the scene as I used to be, but I would start with the venue Yuyintang. Call them for info. My sense is that, as Shanghai's universities moved out to bigger campuses on the outskirts of Shanghai, the music scene became fragmented and withdrew from the city center. That's just a hunch, though. Shanghai was never a great place for alternative, non-commercial arts. Please report back if you find otherwise, or anything at all.

• Like 1

Check out the mao live house shanghai page. They should have a varied programm if it is like the beijing one. never been to the one in shanghai but the one in beijing has a punkshow nearly every month and also other shows that go into the rock direction.