Chinese-Forums

Cantonese cooking

ChefSiu

thanks a lot everyone...

@Kobo-Daishi,

Yes we do have amazon here in portugal as well (i usually use the UK one cause it has more stuff)

I have a Little spot i can grow vegetables in, and i'd love to get some seeds, if anyone knows where can i get em in europe, i would apreciate it...

Yeah the word from wide flat noodles are usually spelled "fun or foon", I think "fun" has the closer phonetic sound, for years I've seen it spelled as foon. I personally don't have a preference because I know what it means either way. We even call vietnamese pho as utnam hoa fun. Or when you see skinny rice noodles we call it "fun see." "Cheung fun" has the same word in it aswell.

Yeah the word from wide flat noodles are usually spelled "fun or foon", I think "fun" has the closer phonetic sound, for years I've seen it spelled as foon. I personally don't have a preference because I know what it means either way.

It might not matter to you, but, for anyone doing a search on Youtube looking for "chow fun", your video most likely wouldn't be returned unless the search engine is able to account for variant spellings.

Ditto for Chinese food vs. Cantonese food.

Probably a lot more searches for Chinese food than just Cantonese food.

We even call vietnamese pho as utnam hoa fun. Or when you see skinny rice noodles we call it "fun see." "Cheung fun" has the same word in it aswell.

utnam hoa fun 南越河粉

fun see 粉絲 (粉丝)

In America, we commonly call it "bean threads", "glass noodles", or "cellophane noodles".

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Bean_thread

From the Wikipedia entry for "bean thread":

Cellophane noodles (also known as Chinese vermicelli, bean threads, bean thread noodles, crystal noodles, or glass noodles) are a type of transparent noodle made from starch (such as mung bean starch, yam, potato starch, cassava or canna starch), and water.

They are generally sold in dried form, boiled to reconstitute, then used in soups, stir fried dishes, or spring rolls. They are called "cellophane noodles" or "glass noodles" because of their appearance when cooked, resembling cellophane, a clear material of a translucent light gray or brownish-gray color.

Cellophane noodles are generally round, and are available in various thicknesses. Wide, flat cellophane noodle sheets called mung bean sheets are also produced in China.

Cellophane noodles should not be confused with rice vermicelli, which are made from rice and are white in color rather than clear (after cooking in water).

Also from the Wikipedia entry for "bean thread":

Chinese name

Traditional Chinese 1. 粉絲

2. 冬粉

3. 細粉

4. 線粉

Simplified Chinese 1. 粉丝

2. 冬粉

3. 细粉

4. 线粉

Literal meaning 1. powder thread

2. winter powder

3. slender powder

4. line powder

Also from the Wikipedia entry for "bean thread":

In Chinese, the most commonly used names are:

fěnsī (simplified Chinese: 粉丝; traditional Chinese: 粉絲): with fěn meaning "noodle" and sī meaning "thread"

dōngfěn (Chinese: 冬粉): with the literal meaning of "winter noodle"

They are also marketed under the name saifun, the Cantonese pronunciation of the Mandarin xìfěn (Chinese: 細粉; literally "slender noodle"), though the name fan2 si1 (粉絲) is the term most often used in Cantonese.

I was first introduced to it as 細粉 (细粉), so, that name stuck with me.

A great Chinese dish using 細粉 is pork or chicken stir-fried with celery, carrots, wood (tree) ears or cloud ears, mushrooms, and other veggies including the sai fun.

The Koreans also have a similar dish. Wonder if they got it from the Chinese. Probably so.

Also, the Philippines. A Filipina co-worker gave me some and I was struck by how similar it was to the Chinese dish. Did Hokkien Chinese introduce it to the Philippines?

Cheung fun 腸粉 A classic dim sum dish.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Cheung_fun

Kobo.

• 1 month later...
ChefSiu wrote:

Kobo, I see your point. I'm about to change the title :) Thanks

Glad to be of help.

I see the suggestion has helped the chow fun video take the lead in views by a long shot over all the others.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwf5ITbAWyTRwyNIF63vcQ

264 views to the number two at 99 views.

All the other videos are but a fifth of the numbers.

I've got tons of these SOE (search engine optimization) tips when I was working on my blog. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to blog. :)

Kobo.

Edit: Add url to post.

• 1 month later...

The Hong Kong Style Beef Chow Fun video has crossed the 1000 view threshold and is at 1233 views. Well above all the others. Most well below the 200 mark. The only viable contender is Singapore Rice Noodle with 650 views. Still only about half the audience of HK Style Beef Chow Fun.

Can't understand why S'pore Rice Noodle is doing so well. I don't care much for the dish myself. Not a big fan of curry. And egg as the meat ingredient isn't very filling for me.

It's a shame Chef Siu isn't making more videos. I quite enjoy them. How a real Chinese restaurant kitchen is operated.

Kobo.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
It's a shame Chef Siu isn't making more videos. I quite enjoy them. How a real Chinese restaurant kitchen is operated.

@WesAtRedBean

Thanks for the heads up.

I hadn't been to his YouTube channel since I last posted that, but, it seems his channel has really taken off and he's put up quite a few videos since then.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwf5ITbAWyTRwyNIF63vcQ

I applaud him for his efforts. I know how difficult it is. Seeing as no one visits my YouTube channel, Kobo's Cantonese Corner. How frustrating it can be at times.  :)

Kobo.

• New Members

I know! I would love to make the noodle dishes and the fish with corn and egg sauce, but without the ingredient lists and quantities I would be a bit lost just eyeballing it!

The Chef Siu presentations are not "how to" videos. They showcase the techniques and flair of a skilled restaurant chef very well. I don't think they are intended to be instructional tools. I'm in admiration of his knowledge and execution. 

i live in Portugal :/ not many chinese fresh ingredients...

I dont have any chinatown near me, but i know someone that owns a chinese restaurant, maybe she can help me get some nice ingredients? or i can ask her where she gets 'em...

Lisbon is full of Chinese supermarkets where you can get pretty much any ingredient you want.

If I remember correctly, there are 5 different ones just at the beginning of Rua da Palma and around Martim Moniz.