Chinese-Forums

The Hong Kong Visa Topic

ChTTay

At the risk of getting off topic (please direct me to the appropriate place if necessary) what exactly do you mean by "certified"?  Is there a resource where I can find more information about this.

I figured it would be a problem like that with the University.  Thanks again everyone for your help, I'll keep you up to date with any relevant developments.

Certified in this case means an institution that is able to sponsor student visas. Many schools that teach language are of the training center type which are unable to sponsor students or obtain visas for them on their behalf. Best to ask the school upfront if they can get you a legit X2 visa (short term student visa). If they can't then they are going to ask you to obtain a L visa or another type of visa. Good luck! I wish I could be more help, but anymore from me would be speculation at this point and I want to be able to keep this thread factual as possible! 

I'll ask here, I'm searching other places for information and if I need to I'll just go to the PSB, but thought I'd see if anyone knew.

I am starting grad school in fall, currently on a 2 year residence permit (for marriage). Any idea if I would need to go back to my home country to get a student visa? Or can you switch from one kind of resident permit to another?

Posted Today, 09:50 PM

I'll ask here, I'm searching other places for information and if I need to I'll just go to the PSB, but thought I'd see if anyone knew.

I am starting grad school in fall, currently on a 2 year residence permit (for marriage). Any idea if I would need to go back to my home country to get a student visa? Or can you switch from one kind of resident permit to another?

The problem is that rules can be different in different cities and they change over time too.

You shouldn't have any trouble switching from a marriage visa to a student visa.

That being said... you may not need to. I don't see any reason you can't study on a marriage visa. If you ask the PSB they very well may tell you that you can just stay on it.

This is becoming a tangent ... But...

I second that... I had friends studying at Universities on Z visas. They studied in the morning and worked afternoons. The University just made sure they knew any visa problems were there own problems.

Well, good news. My 就业许可 was finally approved and picked up today. I talked to both the 人事局 and the 出入境 people and they all said it doesn't matter where I go, that Hong Kong would work. There is nothing specific on the paper about where to go. I was reading the instructions on the bottom though and it mentions that I need "the employment license and visa notice" to the Embassay or consulate, but I didn't get a visa notice. The Chinese is "许可证书和通知函电”.

So first question, what is it and why didn't I get the visa notice?

Second question: the papers don't mention what paperwork I need when I'm in HK, so should I just assume the paperwork mentioned in previous posts is what I need?

Thanks!!

Great news!

I looked again and still can't find the fee schedule (I'm only looking on the English version as I can't read Chinese yet). Well I did find this, but it's from 2011 - is it still valid?

I'm still confused about whether applying in HK (instead of Canada) will work. The woman from the HR department at my school says yes, but this is displayed on the HK Commissioner's website:

If you don't reside or work in Hong Kong permanently, you are required to apply Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in your resident country.

Chi-Nian , may I ask why is the fee schedule so important? You need pricing information or something? Whatever the fee it won't differ greatly from getting it elsewhere.

I'd be more concerned if you can actually go and get a visa in HK. Looks like Muyongshi might be in luck!

If you are in Canada or could go there anyway I'd just do it there. It would save you all this uncertainty

Thanks, muyongshi - that's the same one I found, but I didn't know if it was valid since it's 4 years old

@ChTTay - I'm Canadian, but I live in Taiwan (no embassy here), so I have to figure out which is cheaper - flying to HK and applying or couriering all my docs to Canada and back and paying a visa company to do it. If that fee schedule is right, HK is cheaper, faster, and much more fun!

I think the visa fees are reciprocal - you pay how much your country charges for a visa for a Chinese citizen. The more your country charges a Chinese citizen, the more you will need to pay for your Chinese visa. Right?