Chinese-Forums

Hainan Medical College

Heru

Greetings,

Has anyone here been to or heard of Hainan Medical College? http://www.hainmc.edu.cn/ I am looking to attend that school soon and am in need of some information about housing and other living expenses in the area, as well as to what anyone thinks of the quality of education there. It isn't one of the more talked about schools in China.

Thanks in advance.

I've met several of their students over the last few years. I live right down the street from it and I know a teacher who used to work there teaching English. It's generally considered a decent college. But this is Hainan, so that's not saying much. I don't know what your situation is, but a degree from around these parts won't get your very far.

As far as housing, there's lots of housing in the area for about 800-1000/month.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. 800 to 1000 RMB? I have already contacted the necessary certification boards here in the USA and I am convinced that HMU will serve my purposes. Are you in China on a student Visa? If so did you do your health check before leaving for China or after arriving theres?

Thanks again.

Jason, Can you please elaborate on why it is you say that a degree from Hainan wont get me far? I mean the school Is listed in the IMED directory here as a recognized medical school and the ECFMG in the usa will allow me to sit for board tests should I receive a degree from Hainan. So I am wondering is it just the quality of the school maybe? The size and /or resources available there?

Hainan is a pretty rural and poor province, so being 'good for Hainan' doesn't mean it'd be considered 'good for China'. I don't know any specifics, but China's best medical schools are likely to be in major cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

But if you're happy with that, and you've checked that you can do whatever you want to do after graduating, that's fine....

• Like 1

My girlfriends studied at Hainan University before and while I can't tell you much about that medical school, I've heard alot about the area - as you can imagine :-? .

If you're intending to learn Chinese, Hainan is an exceptional place to go. There isn't many foreigners and so you will be treated as a novelty - giving you plenty of chances to practice your Chinese. In terms of working, if you're intending to do something part time to aid your studies, jobs are offered to foreigners everywhere. E.g: My girlfriend isn't stunning and she was offered a modelling job as soon as she landed (at the airport infact). She didn't have the vanity for that, but ended up working as a part time English teacher for 140RMB an hour with guaranteed hours (again came by very easily).

Sorry I don't know anything specific about the college, but hopefully someone else will!

• Like 1