Chinese-Forums

freedom and love

Guest samantha

I'll move it over to Random, where we can all discuss the Bohemian Ideals of . . . whatever they are.

I thought it was a great film anyway, I just happened to walk past a TV set that was showing it one day, sat on the floor and watched the whole thing right through. Got the soundtrack too. Might go and listen to it now actually. Sorry neighbours.

Roddy

Before I left film school, we studied this film (right when it came out)as an example of post-modernism. I remember resisting it at first, but when we watched it in class, I actually liked it.

I imagine all of the cultural references would be really hard to grasp for a Chinese person. Sort of like when I watch Chinese comedy and all the puns and references go straight over my head. Moulin Rouge had a lot of stuff that would be really hard to translate in a way that made sense to people outside the culture. I've always wondered how that problem is tackled by those in charge of doing subtitles and such.

I've always wondered how that problem is tackled by those in charge of doing subtitles and such.

that's a really pertinent point... i watched matrix reloaded the other night & it had chinese subtitles... obviously it depends on who's doing the translation but they were so inaccurate... eg, "i can't take this anymore" --> "wo bu mingbai"...

which brings up another point... everyone sez how chinese poetry, etc is so difficult, if not impossible to translate into english... i think the reverse is also true...

to keep this on topic, i have never seen the rouge film

to keep this on topic, i have never seen the rouge film

And the award for the most feeble attempt to justify a post ever . . .

I've noticed that subtitles for some things - notably series like the Simpsons, Friends, and so on - are actually done very well. Films are generally ok I think, as long as it's not a 'done in the cinema' edition, in which case, best of luck.

Roddy

PS I'm not listening to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack now, by the way.