Chinese-Forums

Seeking Chinese History Network

kdavid

I'm looking for a few people off which to bounce some ideas regarding my graduate applications.

In particular, I'd like my list of potential schools and advisors to be reviewed. I currently have 12 MA and PhD programs to which I'm applying, but I'd like to add some more.

I'm taking a shotgun approach to applications this cycle to ensure I get accepted by at least one.

Having someone to bounce ideas off would help a lot.

We'll talk about this offline a bit, but in terms of websites for anyone looking at programs to attend, I'd start with the grad students and recent graduates over school websites and generic professor bios. Current and recent students have a lot more inside information on the "real" program (and extremely useful practical info, such as funding) than flat sites with advisor/professor bios.

Two places to start:

The Grad Cafe Forum

Dissertation Reviews

I'll post more as I think of them.

• 1 month later...

amandagmu and I have a somewhat-regular dialogue going regarding various grad-school-related issues.

A lot of our discussion is exchanging sensitive information we wouldn't want floating around in cyberspace, such as names, emails, personal opinions regarding specific individuals, etc.

With that said, if anyone stumbles upon this post in the future and shares these interests (i.e. applying to US grad schools for Chinese history), feel free to post here and/or PM me. I'd be more than happy to post information here which isn't overly personal.

Lastly, I second amandagmu's recommendation of the Grad Cafe forum for graduate-school-specific details. It's been a tremendous help thus far.

• 5 weeks later...