Chinese-Forums

Will a Western iPhone work in China?

pprendeville

I got my iPhone 4 unlocked the legal way before coming to China. My wife brought it to a shop in her local town yesterday and they said the sim card are different here in China which renders it useless for making calls here. Can ayone verify this? Find it strange that iPhones made for the chinese market are different.

I have never used an iPhone. But I do know that many mainlanders come to Hong Kong to buy iphones (because they are cheaper here) and many HKers (my brother included) sell their iphones for resale in the Mainland. AFAIK the iPhones sold in HK are the same as those sold in the rest of the world and are not locked. So it would appear strange if none of the Mainland sim cards can fit in those phones. Perhaps you just have to find the right service providers.

• Like 1

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. Just the way my wife was explaining it to me sounded like even the micro sim was not compatible. Anyway, I'll bring it back to Beijing next time I'm visiting and see what the story is in a CM shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Phone is working anyway, got a China Unicom SIM here on campus and all is well. Didn't realise that the iPhone mini SIMS are just large cards that are cut to size. They have a little jig in the shop similar to a stapler for doing the job.