Chinese-Forums

List of higher education institutions in Yunnan?

bluetortilla

I'm looking for a good list of higher education institutes in Yunnan- such a list I'm almost sure would only be in Chinese. Wikipedia has a limited list, and even within the schools that it lists it does not include any school that does not offer a full B.A. That would exclude from the list vocational schools, business colleges, or just about anything that ends in 学院.

I 'sort of' have had success on Baidu, but I can only hit individual institutes in a random way, I cannot find any list. Or else I find a list but for another area (such as Beijing), which also looks quite limited (if I were interested in that area). I am baffled by internet searches in Chinese and wonder if there any folks on the form who have mastered it?

I know I can just register with an agency, and I very well may end up getting my job that way, but I'd like to expand my opportunities as much as I can. And in case anyone is wondering I didn't miss the boat this year- I'm currently teaching English in a junior college in GZ on a March to March contract. I want to attend YUN next year so I'm looking for a Spring Term position in Yunnan now.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

(Late reply)

It looks good. I may have an offer Tuesday for the year beginning September. Correspondence has gone well at a couple of colleges, and there's to be a meeting deciding whether to give me an offer or not on Tuesday. No one has mentioned anything about an interview, and come to think I was hired for my current job without an interview either- though there was quite a bit of correspondence.

My main goal in Yunnan is to study at the Yunnan University of Nationalities. Technically, a student visa should now legally allow you enough work to get by on, but in practice it seems that neither schools nor the PSB are aware of the new provision yet. Working in public colleges and universities seems best in the beginning at least as they give you plenty of time for academic work.

I am just now getting a package together to send out to schools directly. The schools I've had contact with so far have been through GoKunming.com and an introduction. I've also registered with several agencies, and though they sometimes do have college positions to be filled, the bulk of what they offer is of the English training school variety.

I also put together a simplified CV in Chinese, and had several colleagues check it for me. I got examples from Baidu to help me write it. I think it's helpful to include that. I also found examples of cover letters (or 'about me' sections on CV's, but I don't feel up to that just at the moment!). 

I'll post again if the writing directly approach gets any responses. I'm concerned that my email won't get forwarded to the FAO or equivalent (外事处), as that's not usually the contact given on the website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great list (English) of all universities in China (all over the world actually) that's very handy for snagging email addresses (they tend to be buried at the schools' websites). It doesn't list colleges or junior colleges though, which is where I'll most likely end up working. No job yet. :(   

http://www.123university.net/country.php?c=China