Chinese-Forums

Taishanese = Hakka and Cantonese?

TaishanesHK

When I listen to Taishanese I used to think of it as a mixture of Cantonese and Mandarin but now after hearing Hakka I'm starting to think Taishanese is like hearing a mixture of Cantonese and Hakka? or is it just a pseudo-resemblence?

I just want to add. Many Taishanese people prefer to be distinct and when we do identify with another group is ussually Cantonese but I'm also interested in our history.

http://en.wikipedia....ishanese_people

Taishanese and Hakka seem to share most of the same vocabularies, why is that? I mean, for example the only people who pronounce Person as "Ngin" and Sun as "Ngit" is Taishanese and Hakka. We have similar pronounciation for family surnames: Chin (Chen), Liew (Liu), Lee (Li), Yee (Yu), Lim (Lin). Another thing is we count similarily (from 1 to 10): Yit, Ngi, Slam, Sli, Ng, Luk, Tit, Bat, Giu, Sip vs. Yit, Ngi, Sam, Si, Ng, Luk, Chit, Bat, Giu, Sip.

Don't get me wrong, Taishanese is closer to standard Cantonese.

There is no such thing as Hakka people it only means guest people,  Hakka is a language group not a race.

Taishanese and Teochew can also be Hakka since they both migrated into the Guangdong region but in a different time period. The difference is Taishanese assimilated with Cantonese and Teochew with Hokkien, the Hakka share many similar words with the aboriginal ethnic She people even their dress and culture is quite similar