Chinese-Forums

Older person (36 Years Old) Looking to work/Study in China advice needed

aprose1977

Is there anyone out there who has decided to go and teach in China at a more mature age?  After being poised to go out about 5 years ago and having to put it on hold, I am in a position now where I would  like to go out for China for a year before it becomes  too late and I have to concentrate on mortgage career etc. So many of the opportunities on offer seem to be aimed at people just out of University so I am wondering if I am too old!   

I'd be happy to teach, but would prefer to get an  job in a University either teaching or administrative (which is what I do now in the UK).  I don't have a TEFL at the moment (although I would be willing to get one if necessary) but have a Masters in Chinese Studies and HSK 3-ish Chinese (which I would like to improve while I am out there).  At the moment I am looking at going next September.   

I'd be really interested in hearing the experiences of people of a similar age who have done this.  Specifically, how did you approach it?  Did you go through an agency or other organisation or contact companies/universities etc. direct?  If the latter how did you approach thIs?   Where did you go in China?  What was your experience of being out there as a slightly older person?  

Any responses, tips, advice, warnings etc. would be really welcome. 

Thanks

Adam 

From my experience, and others I know, being 36 is not an issue at all.

If you have no contacts in China, then an agency is a good way to go, but if you have some connection to a university there, then it's a good option to deal directly with them.

If you're working for a university, try to be flexible and be prepared for surprises. They sometimes ask things of you you might not expect (like making impromptu speeches, or teaching something you know nothing about) and sometimes it may seem they are trying to control your life(like asking/urging you to take trips or go to parties you'd rather not go to, or even setting a curfew). I just think you have to have a very open and flexible attitude.

I came here via a company who does business here. I have since left the company (in good terms) and have had no trouble here. Stoney says it is good to be flexible but I have not had to agree to terms to which was posted. I think it depends on where you go.

After leaving the company/university, I used an agency and am pleased with the position that they found for me.

I arrived when I was 38. I am now 43 and have had no hassles. Good luck.

The TEFL comment is a little confusing. Is English your first language?

Dear Stoney and GaHanna

Thank you for your replies.  It has put my mind at rest a bit that my age won't be a problem.   My purpose in going to China would be for the experience/adventure as well as to improve my Chinese so am prepared to be flexible.   My slight fear about the going via the agency route is that I always imagine that these schemes are designed mainly for recent graduates.    GoHanna I was asking if not people would recommend obtaining a TEFL or other teaching qualification so I had something to fall back on. 

Which agencies  did you use?  Are there people in the UK that you can speak to face to face or is everything done online? 

Best wishes

Adam