Chinese-Forums

Mandarin Companion Graded Reader: "The Secret Garden" 300 char level

Rufus

I´m not going to harp on this. I´d just like to point out that a college or high school student who has studied Chinese for 1-2 years probably doesn't need to have a word like 中国 underlined. I’m sure that cases like this will be taken into account in future titles of the series.

海南中国的最南边

By the way, can these books be bought from China? Thank you.

Currently the books are available in ebook format which can be purchased in just about any country you are residing. You can buy it on AmazoniBooks, and Kobo. We plan on having print books available early next year. 

I'm also pleased to say that we recently released our second book "The 60 Year Dream" 《六十年的梦》 and is now available on Amazon. We're working on "The Monkey's Paw" right now and should be available later this week or early next week. 

cover_lsndm_260x350-225x300.jpg

• Like 1

I bought "The 60 Year Dream" a couple of days ago after seeing this thread. I do think the price is a bit stiff (14.95$ for 50-60 pages), but perhaps I've been spoiled by my previous purchase of the Chinese Breeze series which I bought from China (not Amazon).

In any case, judging by the bit I've read (a couple of pages) this is good stuff. I don't have much experience with graded readers (I'm afraid I never got started on the Chinese Breeze books, for some reason) so I can't really make a sound comparison with anything else, but so far I find it just challenging enough for me. I have to look up a few words (strangely enough it's rarely those that are dealt with in footnotes), and it's going slow (I wish I had a Chinese-English dictionary on my Kindle), but it's surprisingly enjoyable. Perhaps because the only texts I've read previously are dialogues from my textbook. Here, whenever I grasp the meaning of the sentence, it feels a lot more like a personal achievement.

I do appreciate the underlining of the names of the characters, and I really appreciate the e-book format. Will probably check out the first one too, once I complete this.

Back to the underlining of proper names: I've seen some readers at a more advanced level where the glossed words are marked with footnotes or asterisks, and the proper names are underlined, and glossed in a separate list. I thought, why bother? why not treat proper names the same as other vocabulary items, mark them the same, and gloss them in the same list?

@Balthazar : That was my thought aswell, but it seems that e-books now a days are as expensive as a printed book that gets printed in a very good quality. I can understand that people want to earn money, but having grown up in a book shop I can't understand why you would pay the same price for something virtual than you would pay for something real. Especially as the producer doesn't have the costs of producing a physical thing, no stocking costs, no transportation costs, etc...

And as you say me too I am spoiled with the prices of the chinese Breeze (the last one I bought was 16 Yuan).

@Balthazar, thanks for your support and comments. I too think that $14.95 is a bit expensive! We set the price for our books to only $9.95. I'd be interested to know through which platform you purchased the book and what country you live in. I do know that Amazon seems to engage in a bit shifty pricing depending on your region. Still trying to get to the bottom of things with them.

If you have feedback on specific words you have trouble with or suggestions, feel free to send me a PM!

@imron, I think that Western readers find Western stories more relevant to them. I think it is important for Chinese learners to understand Chinese culture, history, folklore, and customs and these compose the main bulk of Chinese content available to Chinese learners. However, if given a choice, many individuals would prefer to read a western story. We want to provide that choice. 

@li3wei1, we will definitely reexamine our methodology as the levels increase. For the low elementary level, we have found that this is quite helpful to the readers. The reading and learning is step by step!  :)

@Rufus, I live in Norway and I bought the book through amazon.com. When I search for the books they are listed at $9.95, but once I click one of the titles to get to the "book page" the price changes to $14.94 ("including VAT").

I know for a fact that while books (all written materials, really) are exempted from VAT in my country, for some silly reason electronic books are not (+25%). So that may be part of the explanation, although it doesn't quite explain the 50% price hike. Oh well.

I can't understand why you would pay the same price for something virtual than you would pay for something real.

Because for the majority of books (i.e. not major best-sellers that sell millions of copies), the majority of the costs involved in producing a book are nothing to do with whether or not you have a physical or virtual copy.

First you have the author(s) who need to be paid, as do the editors, the graphic artists, the page-setters and type-setters, for a book like this you also need people doing research to make sure the content is suitable and at an appropriate level, and that there is cohesion between different books and so on and so on, then there's marketing, sales and advertising and more.  All of these are non-trivial costs, plus it's also worth providing a reasonable profit to the people who take the risk to produce such content, and to give them incentive to keep creating them.

On top of all of that, if you purchase through Apple iTunes, 30% of that goes to Apple, and I'm sure the other e-tailers have similar pricing (they need to maintain massive servers and databases and employ people skilled enough to keep them running).

The reality is, most of the cost to produce a book is still going to be the same whether it's virtual or physical, and pricing reflects that to a large degree.

Don't believe me, check out this article, and this one, and this one, and any one of dozens of others telling the same story.

• Like 2

@imron, I certainly would, though I personally might wait for the higher level books, as I've read The Lady In The Painting and most of the Chinese Breeze 300-level books. For people just starting to read, I would say The Secret Garden is easier to read than the Chinese Breeze 300-level books, but perhaps not as easy as The Lady In The Painting.

• Like 1

Thanks to Character, first to give us some feedback on his review copy. 

Anyone who was interested in this topic will be doubly-interested to read this - an opportunity to work your way through the reader in parallel with other students of a similar level. Go say hello.