Chinese-Forums

Mandarin Companion Graded Reader: "The Secret Garden" 300 char level

Rufus

• 2 weeks later...

This is really annoying. I bought the secret garden a few of weeks ago and had no problem reading it with the kindle app on my galaxy tablet. I have just opened the book after a week, and the characters no longer display after a recent kindle app update. Anyone gotany suggestions?

Hey Stelingo, I heard somebody else had the same issue. They contacted the Kindle support and got it sorted out for them. It seems that this happens randomly when some people update the app. I wish I had a good technical answer for you!

• 2 weeks later...

How come these books are not available for those of us based in China? I am studying in DaLian at the moment and bought a Kindle to get started with these books. I received it today, but I can't find the books on amazon.cn and from amazon.com it's not possible to buy them as I get a message telling me that I'm trying to buy from another country than registered (Denmark).

Hi Skunq, Sorry for the trouble. There is a way around this but I'll let you know what the problem is. The big problem is that China's publishing industry is tightly controlled by the government. For a book to be available for purchase in the China market, it must go through censorship and an approval process. Then it must either be published by a Chinese publishing house or "imported" by a state owned distributor AND obtain a unique Chinese ISBN number which is different than ISBN numbers from around the world. Ultimately, our books are not for sale in China.

However, what matters is where your Amazon account is registered. If you have set your Amazon account registered to Denmark, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are getting problems, I would suggest you use your computer to buy the book via the Amazon website and it should then download to your Kindle. If you still have problems, turn on your VPN, considering you have one. Do make sure that you are using the Denmark website and not the default Amazon or or Chinese website. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Rufus, thanks for your reply. At the end I managed to buy the books using my Amazon.com account (Denmark doesn't have an Amazon website) while being on my VPN. Bought all the books apart from 'Country of the blind' which I couldn't due to the public domain thingy, so I'm pretty excited to get started with them. 

I hope for more books soon to come! Thanks!  :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Stelingo, The same thing happened to me. In my case running the kindle app on a Nexus 7 the only real issue was that it initially defaults to an English font after the update, which resulted in those boxes instead of characters.

After selecting one of the Chinese fonts in the options it worked fine. Btw, looks liked they added a few more simplified Chinese fonts as well. Too bad they haven't added a traditional Chinese option for these ebooks then one could practice both just by changing the font in the settings.