Chinese-Forums

SSH tunnel connection reset/abort

dhaubles

Gday folks,

A quick question for those of you using SSH tunneling to bypass the GFW. Before I arrived in China from Australia 2 weeks ago, I had tested my SSH tunnel to my host (Gdoo**dy) with many great successes - i managed to watch hulu, mtv, colbert in HD  !! One small recurring problem I had in Australia was that I would get "Connection from server has been aborted" timeouts every so often. This wasn't really a problem in Australia because it didn't happen too often and I was happy to manually re-login to my SSH session to resume my proxy. Now since being in China this seems to be more much more frequent and is understandably extremely irritating.

I'm just wondering whether it is worth renewing my Gdoo**dy subscription or should I instead opt for a different server (perhaps a less popular 'lowendbox'). I have the 'Deluxe Web Hosting' plan from Gdoo**dy and perhaps it is the case that I have a shared IP that the authorities are on to :(.

FYI.

I use W7, Putty and Chrome with the foxyproxy plugin. I have the adblock plugin installed on Chrome but I'm not sure if Chome does DNS proxifying..  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to China.

Haven't used SSH tunneling before but many techniques to get outside the great firewall are not effective here.

Let's just say Cisco has made a lot of money selling very fancy equipment in China.

Look at a paid VPN provider perhaps - might get 30 minutes to an hour at a time.  However I think you should probably consider other techniques to watch movies/TV.

Lots of stuff is available for free streaming on Youku including plenty of american TV shows.

I use Arvixe and have done for a few years now.  When I visited China recently (and all previous times), it worked fine.  They have a 60 day money back guarantee, so you can always try them to see if it works and cancel if it doesn't.

Disclosure: The above link is my affiliate link, but I would recommend them even without that.

I have a SSH tunnel connecting to US and to HK for work from Shanghai, for many hours a day and have no disconnection issues.  For streaming I use SenVPN.

If you already have a box why not try to setup a PPTP or L2TP/IPSec on your node and try?  If you can setup a SSH tunnel this should be a piece of cake  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your contributions everyone. I'm assuming generally its the big shared-ip service providers - my god**dy acc, big vpn providers, low cost shared-ip hosting - that are likely to be frequently interrupted, if that is the case would it be safe to assume that if you obtained a VPS with a dedicated IP or an actual dedicated host (with accompanying IP) you should be pretty safe?

If you can setup a SSH tunnel this should be a piece of cake

An SSH tunnel only requires shell access over SSH to get running.  Setting up PPTP or L2TP/IPSec is significantly more complicated.

That said, if you are technically inclined, Amazon Web Services provide a one year free trial of their 'micro' instances, which is a good cheap way to get a VPS for testing.  Don't think it comes with a dedicated IP, but I don't have a dedicated IP with the host I mentioned above, and it's been fine.

• Like 1

Haven't used SSH tunneling before but many techniques to get outside the great firewall are not effective here.

I've been using SSH tunneling for the better part of a decade, and have never had any significant issues.  It's proven itself significantly more stable and reliable than any other method for me.

• Like 1

Update:

I've since acquired an Ar***xe account for tunneling/web hosting but I have found it to be equally as slow if not a little slower than God***y. I've also tried S*nVPN on my mobile and it seems to work quite fast. Only problem with the VPN solution is it appears I may have to reconfigure my home router to let the connection through as it is somehow preventing the connection.

Thanks for your contributions everyone!

here's my 2 cents akclau:

I've only attempted to tunnel browser traffic on my win7 laptop. It is possible to tunnel other things so long as you enter the relevant proxy details for each program.

On Android there is a catchall program that does this for you it is called SSHTunnel. If you have a rooted android device it will change the iptables to direct all traffic through the tunnel.

Hi Imron, how does SSH tunnelling work?  I SSH to remote linux servers from a Win7 box, but can I use that connection to tunnel all traffics through like a VPN?

This is how I have my tunnelling configured.

It's not as convenient as a VPN for tunnelling all traffic, but most programs have a proxy setting that you can configure manually.  You just need to set it so it goes through the proxy you have running (localhost:8080 or whatever).

• 2 years later...