Chinese-Forums

Movies made in Malaysia and Singapore

Ian_Lee

Has anyone watched movies made in Malaysia and Singapore?

As I recalled, I have seen two -- one from Malaysia and one from Singapore.

Both are comedies. The Malaysian movie I watched was way back in the '70s. The movie was conducted in Cantonese (with very funny accent) and the story with background in Penang.

The second one from Singapore was watched recently (about two years ago) which I dug up from school library. It was about dancing (One Singaporean guy even emulated John Travolta). Most of the actors/actresses spoke English but the old folks spoke Chinese dialects.

But their movie titles are hard for me to recall.

Do Singapore and Malaysia produce any movies?

The Singapore movie you refer to is "That's the Way I like it" starring Pierre Png and some other people I don't remember.

My favorite Singapore movies are "I Not Stupid" - about the Singapore school system and "Chicken Rice War" - which places the Romeo and Juliet storyline around two comepeting chicken rice hawker stalls.

The Truth aboud Jane and Sam (which half takes place in Hong Kong from what I remember) is also Singaporian produced.

Singapore's Raintree Pictures has co-produced a good number of HK movies - including infernal affairs and Gen-X Cops.

I've seen two singapore movies, one is Talking cock(讲鸟语), the other is the twelfth floor(or the eleventh floor maybe?I almost forgot the the story at all), the Talking cock is a comedy rewritten from online jokes and cartoons(here is the link: http://www.talkingcock.com/), its very nice for those who interested in languages. The movie speaks twenty something languages, mainly dialects spoken in singapore and therefore been banned by singapore government(they decided that destroys singapore's international image). it's funny to hear their all kind of accents. I like it. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

Sg movies no but Sg drama series yes. If anyone likes those Taiwanese lianxuju,then try Ren wo ao you (任我遨游) . It was filmed in Singapore. It's in mandarin. Most of the actors are Singaporeans but there are a few Taiwanese actors too.

I'm surprised no one came up with "Rice Rhapsody" (a.k.a. "Hainan Chicken Rice")

I picked this one up yesterday and found it highly enjoyable, even though it has some major flaws. It's a serio-comic story about a single mother restaurant owner trying to deal with the fact that her two oldest sons are gay, and the third one seems to be headed that way, and is built around food. It co-stars Sylvia Chang and Martin Yan (yes, that Martin Yan) and has a nice score. It has a Taiwanese Director, Kenneth Bi [sic] and the Executive Producer was Jackie Chan, but the entire film was made in S'pore and the dialog is in "Singlish." It picked up a couple of Golden Horse Award nominations.

Here's the film's entertaining web site.

The San Francisco International Film Fesival has scheduled a Tamil language film from Malaysia, The Gravel Road, two in Malay ('>Monday Morning Glory and Princess of Mount Ledang) as well as the one mentioned in an earlier post above, Septet.

There'll also be one from Indonesia, of Love and Eggs.