Chinese-Forums

Can I make hand-written notes when taking HSK computer exam?

chinabush

I am taking the HSK III computer-based exam on December 1st here in China (Guangzhou).

I find it very helpful to make notes when working through certain parts of the exam.  

Will this be allowed?  Can I bring, or do they give you, a blank sheet of paper for taking notes?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now that I've taken the exam today, I can answer my own question ;~)

Yes, in Guangzhou, at Jinan HuaWen University, you can make handwritten notes when taking the HSK exam!  I found this helpful in questions 41-50 on the HSK 3 exam - first writing down the key words and general thoughts for the A B C D E F sentences on the top of the page.  Then, its much easier to match in the sentences below (not having to continuously refer back to the sentences at the top of the page).

• Like 1

I, like the previous poster, think that you can write in the booklet with questions whatever you want. So, in fact, you can make notes. The only thing that matters is the answer sheet. The booklets will probably be thrown away right after the exam.

But now the same question about the computer exam: can you bring your own sheet of paper (or use the back of the registration form), and write on that?

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone in this thread is both right and wrong.

As I pointed out in this post:

http://hsktests.com/can-i-take-notes-or-skip-around-to-other-sections/

Technically, you're not allowed to take notes on the HSK.

But everyone here said they could take notes. That's right, but only because the test administrators don't care.

Recall that recently, the College Board, the company that administers the SAT, stopped administering the SAT in China because of the problems with test administrators following the rules.

So yes, you can take notes but only because no one cares to strictly follow the rules.

Welcome to China.

You can read more about note-taking on our site: http://hsktests.com/can-i-take-notes-or-skip-around-to-other-sections/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

I recently took the test level 6 and I was amazed when the teacher offered paper to take notes. But when it was time for the writing part, the instructor stood next to me watching, maybe because he didn't want to interrupt but was checking if I would take notes (which of course would make it soo much easier), I had the feeling that if had gone for it maybe he would take it away... but it is still useful because when the 10 min reading part is over you can scribble really fast some caracters on paper.

But I guess it depends on the instructors, if the room had more students, maybe he just wouldn't care or wouldn't give paper in the first place.