Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 General Discussion

haoyu

Hello everybody! I am from Serbia and I am aiming for Beijing Institute of Technology. All this procces is exhausting and I wish to all of us to don't give up and succeed :).

Q: Is it neccesary for Recommendation Letter to be hand-signed? My professors sent me the letter by email (they printed the letter, signed it, scanned it and then send me). Is it OK?

Thanks?

@Kat, You should apply directly to the universities for the admission letter.  (I'm currently in the process of doing this, too.)  Best wishes on your application!

@Katty, the program instructions only say the Foreigner Physical Examination Form must be completed in English.  So based on a strict interpretation, I'd assume that you don't have to translate the other (supporting) medical documents.

• Like 1

Thanks haoyu :). You're right, there wasn't mentioned anything for handwritten signature! :)

@Kat - I'm applying for master studies. Are you applying to BIT directly or to embassy (I contacted them, but they don't know nothing). How can we get in touch (PM, email?), since we're sharing same pain? :D

@Kat, I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question.  :-/

Are you wondering if you should wait to submit your scholarship application until you receive your university admission letters?  Or are you asking about how to request the admission letters?

@Kat,

Question 1 (Do I need to include the admission letters?):

When I received the instructions from my embassy, I noticed that they encouraged me to include the university admission letters (i.e. apply directly to the Chinese universities then apply for the CSC program).  It was strongly encouraged, but not explicitly required.

As I understood, this was different from last year, where it was optional (not encouraged, but not discouraged either) to apply separately.

Since I contacted my embassy late in the process (I already had everything ready to go), I didn't want to delay my application, so I went ahead and sent it in (without acceptance letters).

I then contacted the embassy again and asked if I should also apply to the Chinese Universities (since I'd already submitted the application).  I received the following reply:

"Both are OK.

If you want to try for the admission letter before you get the reward letter, it is better.

If you want to apply for the admission letter after you get the reward letter, it is fine too."

So, I'm now applying directly to the Chinese universities.  If I had contacted the embassy much earlier, I would have tried to get the admission letters to include with my scholarship application.

--

Question 2 (How do I apply to the Chinese universities?):

I'm still working on this.  Here's what I've been doing:  I've looked up the university websites from the CSC (http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/universityen.aspx) and tried to contact someone in their "international" office.  For each CSC university listing, the second web address (labeled "Office website") is usually the International office for the university.  I would try to find a contact on that page, and send them an email in English and in Chinese asking for directions on how to apply.  (I've received two replies so far, one in English and one in Chinese.)

Also, I will note that on some of the university websites, you'll find more information on the Chinese section of the website than the English section.  So I've been using Google translate to navigate some of these!

• Like 1

Also (and this is just wistful reflection) I wish I had done more investigation into the universities directly (not just through CSC's portal) before I applied.  My first school on the CSC list may not accept Chinese language scholarship students according to their website, even though the CSC web page for this school says they do!  I'm currently waiting to hear back which is correct.

Well, hindsight is always 20/20...

EDIT 3/13/14: I've contacted the school (Tianjin University), and they do appear to accept the CSC scholarship for language students (despite appearances from their last CSC posting.)  I'm in the process of applying now.

EDIT #2, corrected link

@Katty, I thought of that, but technically it'd still be 4 pages.  According to the current Oxford and earlier (1913) Webster dictionary, a page is only one side of a sheet, (although the current Webster definition includes both sides).

It's up to you.  The CSC staff probably aren't checking dictionary definitions. :P

It is very weird that we would still have to undergo an interview before our papers will be submitted to the embassy and to China... (from the Philippines). Guys, do the requirements need to be original? Or is it okay to have it photocopied? I only requested one copy of transcript and it would take another 2 months to request another one.

@jobm

What do you mean by requirements?

From what I have read and understood, you must have at least 1 'original copy set' and the other set can be a photocopy from the first. By original I mean the ones that have been authenticated, etc, like the original authenticated copy of your diploma. Medical examination in both must be photocopies, you keep the original.

Mine too. My embassy says one original and two copies in the info, that reminds me that I need to ask them about that. The original and photocopy thing that I told is what I read from Brian US answers somewhere from past threads.

Hi I have a problem with my notarized high school diploma!!! Actually I gave my original diploma to the person who translated it but she gave me the original diploma with its English translation together!!! I cannot separate it!!! And I do not know what should I do now!!! I have also one notarized PHOTOCOPY from my townhall with an original stamp but I do not know what to do!!!

Should I send my original diploma and say in my school that I have lost it for example or do you think that a PHOTOCOPY with an original stamp + one photocopy made bz myself would be enough??

@Katty, I'd try asking the high school for another copy.  (You didn't lose it; it got "damaged."   :)  )  Also, maybe you can copy the translated diploma and notarize the copy?  That plus the photocopy with original stamp sounds like it might work.

• New Members

Dear all,

I am applying from Vancouver, British Columbia, and have already submitted my application documents to the BC Ministry of education, which will decide if I am worthy to receive the scholarship and then forward to China. I applied for a masters in software engineering, but am now considering reapplying for a different masters altogether directly with SWUFE university (Masters in International Business) in Chengdu.

My question is: Since I'm applying twice for two different majors , does anyone know about the Laihua webpage application, whether the CSC will view whichever version is saved on the site, or whether they just look at the paper that I send in. Because if they look only at the version saved on the webpage, then my chances are cut in half.

Does anyone know about the procedures here? Is it OK to apply twice?

Cheers,

Trevor