Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 General Discussion

haoyu

Hey guys

One thing - i'm going to take it to the Chinese Embassy in London tomorrow, but do I need to make copies of the CD which my x-ray is on? Or is the document that came with it saying that everything is fine enough?

I would have submitted it weeks ago, but the NHS lost my blood!!

Well, my application should have arrived in Wash. DC this afternoon.

I did have some trouble with the notorization. I took it over to my local Chase bank and they didn't have a clue what to do with it. After a bit of run-around I was told that notary laws (especially in ohio) have changed in the past years and photocopies especially are not allowed to be notorized (only original documents). They suggested I try other places like the DMV. I ended up not bothering. So, yeah, my app went out without any notarization at all...

For the physical exam I had a regular checkup with the family physician (my dad) and then had the HIV, syphilus, and tuberculosis skin tests done. I didn't bother with the x-ray or ECC which sounds really expensive. Others have received the scholarship in previous years without getting these done. And, it seems like you have to get another exam done once you get to China anyway, so...

yeah, I'm a bit nervous about my app actually getting through. Hoping to call the embassy tomorrow or next week and make sure it didn't end up in the trash after putting all that work into it :). Anyone still have that super secret contact number for DC?

@jolinstan, the foreigner physical examination form says "x-ray report" so I would guess that the document that came with your x-ray is good.  (You could also try printing the image on your CD if that's possible.)

@David Ma, Yeah, I had trouble with my notary, too!  What she ended up doing was witnessing me write and sign a statement that "This is a copy of my diploma."

Regarding the physical, I'm a little surprised you thought the x-ray and ECG were expensive.  Mine weren't exactly free, but still much less than the cost of the bloodwork.  (Though I'm wondering if I had a lot more lab work done than I needed.)

Contacting the embassy to follow up sounds like a good idea!  I only have the email contact I posted earlier on this thread.  (Which has been very good for responding to questions.)

How have other people contacted the embassy?  Has anyone tried a phone number for them?

About the physical, really?

Bloodwork was about $10, skin test was $20 and most people have said the x-ray costs several hundred (my dad included). Where did you get yours done?

Was thinking of trying a few of the numbers here: http://www.sino-education.org/english/contactus.htm

though the horror stories from previous years doesn't leave me very optimistic.

@David Ma

Yeah, it sounds like I got a lot more than I needed on the bloodwork.  What did they do for the skin test?  I don't think I had that.

ECG was $176 at a hospital, or $40 at the doctor's office (if I'm reading it right).  X-ray was about $284 (all USD, before insurance).

Yeah, you must've done DNA analysis if it cost more than the ECG and x-ray, lol. I did a tuberculosis skin test instead of doing the x-ray. Not sure they are the same thing but I figured it couldn't hurt to toss it in for an extra $20.

Just looked at the tracking and apparently a notice was left (no delivery).

Have you mailed yours yet and where to? I sent mine to 3505 International...

Hopefully it was the right one.

@David Ma
Yes, I also mailed mine to the 3505 address.  I plan to follow up with the embassy to confirm receipt once I have some university admission letters to send.

--

EDIT March 24, 2014:  I followed up with the US embassy today, and yes, they did receive the application I sent in February to the 3505 address!

Does CSC Scholarship deadline has been over yet?? I contacted with Chinese embassy of Nepal  and one of the lady said it is already finished. As I have prepared all the documents for the scholarship I sent my application via courier to the address of CSC office using agency no. of Chinese embassy of Nepal. Do CSC accept my application or not as I have already used so much effort to gather all of my documents and physical examination test. I applied because I want to study Master in physics in China which is not possible to study in Nepal and I have finished HSK 4 with 200 and 2 years Chinese language. I am confused about this scholarship and do not know it belongs to whom? Maybe one of us from this forum will get scholarship,  Best of luck for all...

@justforget

All countries have different deadlines. I guess it´s up to your country´s authorities if they want or can accept them, you should ask them. From what I know, after the deadline, they take several days to weeks to select the people that they recommend for the scholarship.

I think I read wrong. You want to sent it directly to CSC? I dont know if that is possible, I think you must be chosen by your country´s authorities to be able to participate. Or you can try to apply directly to the universities. Those are the two options I know of, I might be wrong.

In my country the deadline was finished before it started. Actually this is the communication problem or some other's authorities problems. I hope CSC will consider my effort and feel free to grant me scholarship. I have already sent the application to CSC and the dispatching authority of Nepal is only courier and I think you can also use this method as it is the best method to send your documents to CSC office.

@Kat, There seems to be some mention of country/region quotas on this forum from previous years.  (E.g. Post #798 on the 2013 CSC results thread suggests that the EU had 198 slots.)

I haven't seen more specific information though.

@justforget,  Unfortunately, the CSC does not want applicants to send documents directly to them.  They have the following on their website (for the Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program):

"CSC does not accept any individual application other than the recommended applications from the dispatching authorities."

--
Regarding your dispatching authority, is there any contact in the Nepalese Government you could try?  You've probably already seen this (old) link, which says the Chinese embassy in Nepal does not accept applications for the scholarship.  I was wondering if maybe the Chinese embassy turned you away because of this rather than because of a deadline?  (In one of the latest postings from 2004, the deadline for Nepal was mid-April?)

You've probably already seen all this.  I'm just mentioning it with the faint hope that it could be helpful.

@hanyu thank you for information...actually I am not going to say what is the true reason thought I do not get scholarship that is ok because I don't want to blame Nepal due to some governmental servants... Maybe China will try to understand that government servants of Nepal are misusing the csc scholarship by recommending only to ..... you know i don't want to mention it.

Application submitted!

Such a relief. I'm a little worried as I didn't send my transcripts for notarising to my university (the degree copy itself I did), but the transcripts have a university stamp on them - is this something I should worry about in terms of having my application denied?

@justforget, sorry to hear about that situation.  I hope you get the scholarship anyway!

@jolinstan, Congratulations on getting everything submitted!  I didn't notarize my transcripts either (just included original copies from my university).  I believe I saw that some of the previous applicants (on this forum) also did this.  

Thanks Haoyu - I already submitted photocopies :( My application should arrive by Tuesday - I'll call them and let them know about the HIT acceptance and ask about the transcripts as well I think.

I'm suddenly very nervous. I was reading the PRC Embassy' Education website and there's this part, it seems like it says that the best chance to get one is through a university in the UK, and they don't accept individual submissions? Which doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe i'm just being overly concerned!

由于奖学金名额有限,教育处目前尚无法接受个人申请,主要通过英国大学和相关机构推荐。目前奖学金涉及的大学多为和中国高校合作密切或者已经设立孔子学院的大学。奖学金每年在英分配高校和机构会有所调整,教育处将努力使更多的英国高校了解该奖学金计划并从中受益