Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 General Discussion

haoyu

What can be done now is just waiting until mid-May (around 15 May), I do not know whether they will do it on the stipulated time. CSC website shows "currently checking". HUST website shows "processing". and on HUST website they did mention this paragraph: We will submit your documents to HUST Scholarship Committee after March 31st. HUST will announce the scholarship candidate after May 15th and the final scholarship winners’ list will be decided and announced by China Scholarship Council and Ministry of Education, China at around June 30th and then the university will announce the final list at http://iso.hust.edu.cn.

• Like 1

Hi everyone - I applied to Donghua and just heard back from them that they are currently evaluating my application. I was wondering if the Chinese Government Scholarship can ever be applied to the English taught programs at some of these universities? 

Shuoshuo - That's what I thought as well. So I am really surprised that Donghua university is telling me that either I use the scholarship for a Mandarin instructed degree or be forced to pursue and English taught degree at my own expense. Do you think it varies by an individual school's policy or is Donghua being unusually strict?

Hey, guys!

I have 2 application forms «currently checking». 1st is sent by dispatching authority and included 3 uni. The 2nd sent by me to university directly and contained only this university as a preferable.
First application got this status (checking) 2 weeks earlier. But I want to enter the 2nd application’s University! Are there any chances to be enrolled via the 2nd application form, how do you think?

And…maybe I should write something to CSC to warn them about my wishes?  Thanks everyone for any advice

P.S. First application do not included any pre-admission notice. The second seems like have it (by the fact Uni recommended me to CSC).

Hi guys!

For those who are from Brazil (@Lin You Le), the pre-selection has already been made: 

http://www.dce.mre.g...ecentes.php#r10

I believe the final result will be announced in July. So we just have to wait now. Good luck for us!

:)

你好

Have your status in laihua changed? Mine is still 申请已经提交了...

naturzen - I know that school well, there is a possibility that their English-taught program is not covered by the CSC. I remember when I was there, it was the business school that offered English-taught program and CSC only covered the Chinese courses. My friend ended up doing a Chinese-taught MBA there.

Another friend of mine did his English-taught course in Fudan. Initially, he was enrolled to do a Mandarin-taught major with one year Chinese language prerequisite. But after the Chinese year, he asked his embassy to talk to the guys at CSC and in no time, he was able to change his course to the English-taught program.

If you will apply through your embassy, request for it and ask them to help you talk to the CSC people about it. The embassy's influence is strong enough to bend the regulations. But if you are an individual applicant, then you have very little say and you will have to apply to universities that offer CSC-supported English-taught programs.

Sayuri - If you submitted a university's admissions notice in your application, you have a high chance of being enrolled in that university. But honestly, I don't know why you put that as your second choice. I also applied with an admissions notice, and I put the same university on all 3 options, haha. I don't know if that's just me being annoying, but I guess if I don't get the university I want (despite already obtaining the admissions notice) I will drop the scholarship.

--

Does anyone know if anyone in the past whose status changed to 'currently checking' ended up not being awarded the scholarship?

Ajeet - Do you mind saying what English program you did and where?

Hi Shuoshuo - Thanks for the information! Donghua is being really adamant about me giving them an answer today, so I think I'll have to decline and carry on elsewhere if possible. Knowing my capabilities there's no way I can sufficiently learn fluent Mandarin within a year well enough to then embark on an entire four year bachelor degree taught in that language. I don't know how other people survive that but I think it's crazy. What makes it more baffling is that the personnel at CSC insist that I cannot use the CSC scholarship for any English degrees period.

As I've wasted one of my CSC form options on a school that doesn't have their English degrees covered, is there a way to still make my CSC application apply to somewhere else? And is there a list available anywhere of the English degrees approved by CSC?

Thank You All!

Naturzen, you should try to contact the other schools you listed to see if they received your application and maybe they can send you a pre admission letter that you can then send to your embassy or the csc

Emilyn88 - I know it might appear as if I have not done my homework, so please bear with me. But what is a pre-admission letter exactly and how can it exactly be used to "jump ahead" or supercede an already sent CSC application?

Thank You!

naturzen - I think the deadline for most embassies have already passed. The only thing left are university applications and I think most end this week or some time next week.  Honestly, I like Donghua and they are very supportive of their international students. The first year of bachelors is done with international students so if you do a year of Mandarin, you will do a second year of non-intensive Mandarin on your first year bachelors.  Then you will join the Chinese on your second year, and if you study hard, you will be alright by this time.  Donghua always offers their current students the opportunity to continue on to do Masters and PhD, so it's very easy to keep continuing until you're done with studies.  If Donghua is willing to give you a chance with CSC, I think you should take it. Many of the other uni CSC application period has ended.

Shuoshuo - I spent the past two semesters enrolled in local Mandarin language lessons (so basically close to an entire year) and even though that was a beginner course, I cannot help but think of how challenging that was in its own right. Not to mention I wasn't particularly good at it either. So it's terrifying to think about doing this language 24/7 in school for the next five years when it's personally very struggling for me to grasp the language.

But I am very keen on attending Donghua because you're right. Just from dealing with their admissions office on the phone and online, compared to other schools, they are a lot more efficient, willing to answer questions and even friendly on some occasions. Not to mention it's away from smog central Beijing. How did you fare with doing your own degree in Mandarin if you don't mind me asking? And did you have any prior proficiency with the language?

Naturzen - I had zero proficiency when I started, did a year of intensive Mandarin when I first arrived, as a pre-requisite. In China universities, the teachers will usually always let you pass as long as you attend your classes and show them that your effort is relentless. That is rule #1. This is not to say that nobody fails, it's just that you're always given a second chance if that ever happens. But it probably won't. I did alright for my bachelors here, to me the biggest challenge was the lack of diversity in the classes. I was the only foreign student in my class! At times, that was almost debilitating. The Chinese students are close-knit, they live together in the dorms while we live in the international students building. You need to make friends as soon as possible and as much as possible.

Oh...and something quite funny: some native English speakers had to do a compulsory English language module and they got Cs while their Chinese peers scored As. Even if you were to do your course in English, you will face challenges, including having to sit through lengthy sessions with a professor who is convinced that he's speaking English. Haha...

This past year I have spent the time consolidating my Mandarin language ability. I have applied for Masters (after taking a very long break since the bachelors). Good luck to you!

Hi Shuoshuo - If the English program in itself sounds riddled with complexities, I can't even imagine taking the Chinese course for that period of time. Is there a sliver of English present anywhere in the classroom at all for the Mandarin bachelor degrees? I think you've helped me make up my mind, this whole deal with the scholarship sounds less and less like what a reasonable university experience should feel like and more of a gun to one's head to race to grasp the language in time.

Naturzen, I didn't mean to make it sound as though it's meant to be a bad experience. I think no matter which language medium course you choose, the experience will be worthwile.