Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 American/EU Applicants

haoyu

Living in the United States, there is no indication for having a chest x-ray in a healthy individual without signs and symptoms of lung problems.  My health care provider did not order a chest x-ray, but instead just wrote "no indication for chest x-ray" on my form.  I've just been accepted into the LLM program by Zhejiang University, and nominated for a Chinese Government Scholarship by them.  I hope my foreigner physical exam will pass the CSC's criteria - if not, I hope to have the chance to go have a chest x-ray which would cost several hundred dollars here and be an unnecessary exposure to radiation in this population.

I received an acceptance to Zhejiang University's LLM program in the email today.  It states that they have nominated me for the Chinese Government Scholarship, and that I should expect official notification of the scholarship from the CSC in July. There are different procedures used to obtain the scholarship depending on the program - for the graduate law degree at Zhejiang, one applies directly to the school, and if accepted, is nominated for the scholarship.  No application to an embassy is involved. I believe some universities have a set number of scholarship spaces alloted by the Chinese government. Once nominated by the school, I believe the CSC's role is largely rubber stamping the candidate as long as criteria are met. Does any one have any information about this?

I am delighted and amazed by this wonderful opportunity for a full scholarship to study in China.  I don't believe admission to Zhejiang's LLM was very competitive - it's too bad more American law school grads are not aware of this great option!

• Like 1

I actually signed up to this forum with the hopes of helping anyone applying for the scholarship from the US with their questions (and receiving some help, as this is still a rediculously confusing process)

I applied for the year long undergraduate program in Southwest University in Chongqing through the AASCU. I recieved confirmation of getting the scholarship at the end of April, and have been accepted into Southwest soon thereafter. Now, according to SWU, I'm waiting on the CSC to contact the university to be told what I need to do from there.

Now here's my question, at this point what is the next step I should be preparing for? Even though the university says I'm accepted, is there a possibility that the CSC will send me to another university on my list?

I'm still very confused, but I'm trying to just roll with it and hope it works out. Thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

@Isaac L,  Congratulations on getting the scholarship!

Technically yes, the CSC could still reassign you to another university.  The CSC scholarship webpage states that "CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments on the university options, specialties, program categories and duration of study. "  However, I think that's more of a disclaimer than a likely possibility.  If you're already accepted to a school, I would expect you will probably end up going to that school.

New Thread/Closing current thread:

I have created a new thread for candidates to post their scholarship results (as they come in).  If you've received the scholarship, please go and post your info there!  If you haven't received the scholarship yet, you are still welcome to post there and update once you do receive it!

Please note that this thread will be closing soon since the CSC scholarship window is now closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thread Closure

The 2014 CSC Scholarship application period has now concluded.  This thread is now closed, but we will continue our discussions of results over at the 2014 CSC Results thread.  

Thank you to each of you for making this discussion lively and helpful.  We had a lot of good participation and helpful posts from fellow applicants!  I hope that some of you will stick around after you get your scholarship to explain the process to the newcomers this fall!

Take care and best wishes on your applications!