Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 American/EU Applicants

haoyu

haha. No worries, thank you for having a change of heart! :)

I'll send my application tomorrow. This way I can actually provide all my acceptance letters too.

Since my dreams were crushed those weeks ago, I've applied to Taiwan for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship too. Hopefully someone wants little old me

• New Members

simplet,

you can check for an example of study plan here: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=8930 (though it is in English).

Actually the thing with pre-admission letters is quite confusing, at least to me. Before applying to the scholarship, a few universities suggested me to send application papers to them directly, however afterwards I had told them that I have been selected, they sent me a pre-admission letter. Although, I don't see how useful it is to me, taking into account that I gave all documents to the embassy and I can't submit any additional letters.

Does anybody know if the pre-admission letter can be print from PDF file instead of the original from the university? I have got a pre-admission letter fro, BLCU and they did not even asked me if I wanted an original document or just PDF, so I guess, it is ok to send the printed letter?

@Katty, I think either should be fine.  I got a pdf admission letter and my embassy asked me to email it to them. (Actually, the admission letter I got was a .jpg picture of a paper letter.  I printed, signed and scanned it to a pdf.)

• New Members

Hello,

I just received the Chinese Government Scholarship (I am an American student), and need a letter of admission from a Chinese university by April 30th! I hear that the CSC would send applications to the three universities on my behalf, but the representative of my recommending agency says this is not the case. I want to apply to SISU, Fudan, and ECNU but no one responds to email/phone calls! How can I apply to these universities online, and how quickly can I get a letter of admission? I want to apply to a regular Chinese language course for the Fall 2014/Spring 2015 year. I have been looking around on the internet, and running in circles trying to figure it out by myself. I read that someone had received a .pdf from their university, and I just need to get to that point, so that I may send it to the CSC and keep the scholarship.

Does anyone know how 'set' the deadline is for the CSC scholarship?

How quickly can I send an application and receive an admission letter from a university?

Anyone have any opinions on universities in Shanghai?

How will the scholarship pay for housing? Can I move into an off-campus apartment, or am I confined to the on-campus dormitories?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I just don't want to lose the chance! Thank you, and any comments/responses to help would be appreciated!

@Tianlongprc, I got accepted at Tianjin University.  Hopefully the CSC likes me too!  :)

Dalian University of Foreign Languages also suggested a couple days ago that they accepted me by email, but I haven't received an actual letter (pdf or paper) yet.

@ryanthecat_taco, First off, Congratulations on receiving the scholarship!  You're farther along than many of us here!

My two recommendations on contacting the universities:

Try emailing the universities in Chinese.  I emailed some of my unversities in English and Chinese (same email text translated in both languages).  One of the schools responded to me several times in Chinese.  I have to wonder if they wouldn't have responded (or if they would have taken longer) if I'd just used English.  It's worth a try anyway.  (Google Translate + Chinese friends can help, but it doesn't need to be perfect -you are trying to learn the language after all.)

Secondly, try faxing your application (or request for application) to the schools.  Definitely let them know that you've already received the scholarship.

--

The speed of response depends on each school.  If you have everything ready, it can (in theory) happen in a week.  Others seem to take longer...  It may depend on how organized the school's office is (pure speculation)?  (The fact that you already have the scholarship may help.  I don't know.)

As far as university recommendations, you probably won't find them in this thread (it could be a separate topic).  Have you checked out the university index?  (You could also do a search to see if anyone else has had the same question or start a new thread asking about for advice based on what type of school/preferences you're looking for.)

I believe the scholarship only covers on-campus housing.  If you move off-campus, it sounds like you'd lose the housing allowance. (See the original post in this thread under the heading "Post-Scholarship/In China".)

I don't know how "set" the deadline is for the CSC scholarship.  

You've got a lot of good questions.  You've probably already browsed/searched through the other threads on this forum, but if not, you'll (hopefully) find a lot of helpful stuff on here!
  • Like 1

I just received an email from Mr Jiangyi Liu that says I got the award and that I should apply to my schools of choice then fax the acceptance letter over to him. Does this mean I got the award for sure? I always thought people had to wait until July.  It says "For those who have no school admission letters, they will be assigned by the experts panel of CSC to either within or beyond your 3 options in your application form." does this mean that the chances of me getting into the school I wanted are slim? Also, I applied for 1 year language training and then my masters. Should I apply for the school I want to take my masters in, even if i don't have the HSK qualifications yet?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I was given an attatchment with apparently everyone's acceptance letter. At first I thought I had mistakenly got the reward when I read 'wendy so and so" but I found my name later on. If anyone is interested I can tell you if your name is on the list or not. There are 14 total, and all American.

Update on my status.

I have been awarded the Scholarship

Sent my CSC Scholarship packet to the Consulate

Consulate sent my CSC Scholarship packet to China

Recieved a pre-admission acceptance letter from Beijing University.

@ryanthecat_taco, Congratulations! 

Did they say that they needed the admission notice before April 30th? The notice is necessary if you want to guarantee that you will go to a school of your choice (which is why the embassy requests that applicants provide it when applying for the scholarship).  However, you have already been notified that they awarded you the scholarship, and so the worst case scenario is that the officials simply enroll you at a school that you have not selected, which, as haoyu has already said, is farther along than many people here.

@grawrt, Congratulations! 

I believe you should apply to the school where you plan to enroll in a master's degree program.

As for the award letters, the embassy seems to send them out in groups for convenience.  Look at the file name of the attached .pdf document.  It should reveal that the email you received was from one round of many.  Also, all of the people who have received award letters from Mr. Jiangyi Lu are US citizens, since he is, after all, Secretary of the Education Office at the Chinese Embassy in the US!

@geometry, Did you apply for a master's degree scholarship?  If not, then you shouldn't be worried because it appears that they have only already contacted the recipients for the master's degree scholarship at this time.  I think non-degree scholarship recipients are usually notified in July.

I actually did get an email back from him, saying they'd received my application, but only on the second try. Be polite, I guess he's busy, and I don't know how many applications they get in total, but if there's many I can imagine he doesn't wanna spend time confirming for each and every one...

MvB, yeah, I fully I understand that he is so busy now!Hope he could answer me :) But some of my friends got the letters from universities that they'd received the documents.

Btw, did your status on laihua changed from "your application has been submitted"?