Chinese-Forums

二手玫瑰 (Secondhand Rose) phrase: "大哥你玩摇滚,你玩它有啥用啊" - what does it mean?

Ruben von Zwack

Hello all,

"大哥你玩摇滚,你玩它有啥用啊"

this is some catch phrase or slogan by the band Secondhand Rose.

What does it mean? I do understand the words, literally, but I just don't get the meaning.

What is all this about use and useless? And what does it have to do with rock music? (also see their clip below). If any of you could help me, that would... rock!

And while I'm at it, what is the piggy (boar?) doing there?*

Useless Rock 摇滚无用 Promo clip:

http://youtu.be/gG57B27bPJE

*it's a symbol of luck and fortune where I live, but I'm not aware of its meaning in China.

PS - thanks to a kind fellow member for pointing out it should be "它", not "他". :)

Edited by Ruben von Zwack
  • Like 2

'Big brother, you play rock, but what use is your playing it?' (Or more accurately perhaps, 'you mess around with rock, but what use is that messing around with it?')

Big brother: form of address that can be used by gangsters but apparently also in this context.

你玩摇滚: you have fun with rock music (or 'you play rock music')

你玩它 / 有啥用: you need to turn the sentence around and then it makes sense: what use is / you playing it

Does that help? Not sure which part was giving you trouble.

Thank you Lu! Yes indeed :)

In the meantime I also asked the band and they were so nice to reply and explain what they had in mind when saying that phrase. Like, a regular guy would ask a "rock star" - "so you do do this, but what has it got to do with my life?".

A fellow forumer also told me that when you, like in the clip, take the word 有 and drop the two lower horizontal strokes, it becomes the Cantonese word .

I still have no clue about the pig in the flower skirt though :wink:

In the meantime I also asked the band and they were so nice to reply and explain what they had in mind when saying that phrase. Like, a regular guy would ask a "rock star" - "so you do do this, but what has it got to do with my life?".

That makes even more sense, thanks for the addition. And so nice of them to explain.

A fellow forumer also told me that when you, like in the clip, take the word 有 and drop the two lower horizontal strokes, it becomes the Cantonese word .

Rather than a "Cantonese word", you can consider it the shorthand of 無.

Thanks for reminding me of this band - you can find them on Spotify if you search 'Second Hand Rose'

Well, this thread prompted me to check them out (they also have a good number of songs on Baidu music), and I gotta say they've already become one of my favourite Chinese bands. Thanks Ruben!

Well, that just gives them even more cool points. Also rather fitting that that by answering the question they defied the arrogant rock star stereotype they set up with that same lyric :D

On the other hand, it seems like the rest of their lyrics are a lot more obscure... anyone worked out what the heck the song 娱乐江湖's all about?

Also, I feel that the singer's unusual style is maybe an imitation of some traditional Chinese form of singing, but I'm too much of a dumb philistine to know what it is. Anyone know?

Also, I feel that the singer's unusual style is maybe an imitation of some traditional Chinese form of singing, but I'm too much of a dumb philistine to know what it is. Anyone know?

Bit of a 京剧 influence? I know they like to use traditional Chinese instruments and influences in their music.

Yes, I remember I heard or read them say it is a specific northern style. Not opera but rather some folk thing, more entertainment than high art. Lyrics typically stories about humour and - how do I word this politely in English? - sex :wink:
I can see if I can find that interview or article, it had the name of this specific style. But right now I am in a meeting pretending to take notes, so a bit distracted :P

Yes, Èrrénzhuǎn, that was it!
Remembered where I picked that up:

http://youtu.be/Hspf8R-05YA?t=2m46s The Sound Stage - Episode 38: Second Hand Rose 二手玫瑰

On the other hand, it seems like the rest of their lyrics are a lot more obscure... anyone worked out what the heck the song 娱乐江湖's all about?

agreed, and... no  :mrgreen:   

@Demonic Duck - I'm really clumsy at searching the Chinese web. That episode was aired on CRI, the show's Chinese name is 音你而乐.

And for the short "摇滚无用/Useless Rock" clip with the pig - it's odd, that gig is in Beijing on Dec 7th so one should find it on the Chinese web, but I couldn't. I guess it's me :-? 

They are also in this French/German production, Arte is the name of the Channel, it should be accessible:

http://videos.arte.tv/en/videos/china-rock-revolution--7678340.html

I find the Arte episode a bit uncomfortable to watch, just saying - but that is topic for a whole different discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't suppose you know where to find mainland-accessible versions of these youtube links you're posting do you, Ruben?

It's this episode:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTU3MzQ3MzM2.html

I generally just search on youku/soku e.g.

http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E6%91%87%E6%BB%9A%E6%97%A0%E7%94%A8