Chinese-Forums

Mandarin tutor for complete beginner in West London

Melanie

• New Members

Hi everyone

I live in west London, just by Heathrow Airport, and I'm looking for a tutor to teach me Mandarin on evenings or weekends, I'm a complete beginner so I will need tutoring from scratch. I am prepared to do a little travelling :)

I have looked at the home courses and think I may benefit more from some personal teaching rather then through just books or software.

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer me.

Mel x

• New Members

Hi Mel,

I could possibly be of help. I'm not a native Chinese speaker, but I thought I could maybe help you with the basics before you fork a lot of money out for a fully qualified tutor. I did Mandarin GCSE and got an A*, I also worked for about a year and a half in a Chinese restaurant in Mile End. I live in East London, and would probably be able to travel to around Heathrow, if maybe we met at a library or something?

But of course, only if you're interested. My handwriting is pretty solid, my understanding of basic grammar is good, my listening skills are passable I would say, but of course my accent and pronunciation are nowhere near as useful as a native speaker would be. Also, for it to be worth my while, (oyster card-wise) I think I could only really do minimum £12/hour, if each session were at least 2 hours. I think one journey on the tube would be £2.70 or £1.50. 

What do you think?

Rachel :)

Hi,

I live in Berkshire about 15 miles from Heathrow.

I have found tutors on gumtree - www.gumtree.co.uk.

My last tutor lives in Reading. I am not sure if that is within your (or her) travelling distance, but I can send you her details.

I have just checked, she still advertises on gumtree. And there are others advertising as Chinese tutors in SW London.